We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Copenhagen - is Malmo woth a Daytrip?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Copenhagen - is Malmo woth a Daytrip?

We will have 3 days in Copenhagen and were thinking of taking the train to Malmo for the day. BUT is it worth it? I am sure there are lots of sites and things to do in Copenhagen - but my question is if we DON'T go to Malmo will we regret it? Is there one special site we would have missed? Or is Malmo just a suburb of Copehagen and being Canadian would we really notice any differance in culuture, language or architecure bteween the two cities??

Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 days in Copenhagen - is Malmo woth a Daytrip?

Just to tease our Swedish forumists:

"Or is Malmo just a suburb of Copenhagen"

Bull's eye... Come and sit with me by the fire-place in the never-ending dark freezing Scandinavian winternights and I will tell you about the Danes ruling over Sweden, Norway, Iceland and most of North Germany....

Those were the days, my friend.......

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Norway
Norway
Europe
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 days in Copenhagen - is Malmo woth a Daytrip?

Gosh I am sorry I used the word "just" when referring to the word "suburb". Of course we know Malmo is in Sweden. But if the architecture, food, culture etc. is the same or similar- why bother to visit ?- just to cross a border?.

I am intrigued however - that there is still some lust left in you Danes :) - all that pillaging and conquering over the years and you lust for more!! Just kidding. But really - we have 3 full days - not much to see ALL of Copenhagen - so want to make sure we are not taking a needless trip to Malmo. Botom line is Sweden is just not on our radar as some place to visit.

We peaceful Canadian boys are also visiting Olso (for the first time - no I do not know why) and Amsterdam (for the 10th time) yes we love Amsterdam and the Dutch are so welcoming. After our first and short visit to "test" Copenhagen we head off to Byzantium before heading home.

Mentioned in this post
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Denmark, Europe
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 days in Copenhagen - is Malmo woth a Daytrip?

Hi

If you go to Norway I would recommend Bergen.

I've been to Oslo once, but was disappointed: lot of ugly buildings, no "old town"-neighbourhoods.

For beautiful Scandinavian capitals Stockholm is the best bet. It has some really ugly suburbs, but the centre of the city ("old town") is very lovely, and you can have boat trips out around the archipelago ("skärgård").

Mentioned in this post
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
660 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 days in Copenhagen - is Malmo woth a Daytrip?

I have just been to Copenhagen and took the trip to Malmo. I enjoyed the time there and went for a walk to the beach (?) which does have a view of the Oresund bridge but also an awful lot of dogs (which I'm always very uneasy around). The malmohus was exceptionally interesting. I was surprised to find that most of the stuffed animals were missing and that downstairs was an excellent collection of fish, reptiles and nocturnal creatures (including fruit bats) which was excellent. Fish are so relaxing to watch. If you go upstairs and bypass the modern art there is a display on the history of the castle plus some rooms as they would have been once. The maritme museum is also worth a visit and comes on the same ticket as the malmohus castle, the highlight being the real submarine you can explore. The cathedral has wonderful medieval paintings. I found Malmo refreshing after the more chaotic and busy Copenhagen.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 3 days in Copenhagen - is Malmo woth a Daytrip?

Go to Malmo, CanadianBoys. I started a thread specifically for you. It's a nice time. The bars are cool and the people are not quite as reserved, if that's what you like.