We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copenhagen for Christmas

Wilmington
10 posts
Save Topic
Copenhagen for Christmas

My family is going to be traveling to Copenhagen for the Christmas Holidays. The one problem that I can forsee is that most places will be closed on the 24th and 25th of December. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do on those days?

Also, we have contemplated renting an apartment in Copenhagen for the 10 days that we are there, in the hope that we can prepare some of our meals. Suggestions and recommendations are welcomed!

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copenhagen for Christmas

Sounds exciting! Just make sure you plan ahead for food. Some of the larger hotels with restauants may be open, but reserve in advance. We ended up eating pizza at and Irish Pub. It was different, but still fun!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copenhagen for Christmas

You should know that everything is closed on the 26th too - and then on the 27th everyting is crazy in the shops with people exchanging gifts and stockin up on food.

Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
612 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copenhagen for Christmas

Hi,

not much going on in Copenhagen on December 24 and 25, but the Zoo is open every day year round, and is actually worth a visit - new house for the elephants by Norman Foster, and the hippopotamus also have a new house where you can see them under water.

Most of the museums will be open on December 26 - Glyptoteket, National Galleries and Louisiana. I would go for a trip to wonderful Louisiana and have lunch here.

You could also consider a trip to Malmø, Sweden, but I don't know about the opening times during Christmas.

A lot of cinemas are open on 25 and 26. Oh, and Tivoli opens up again on December 26.

When getting closer to Christmas you could take a look at www.aok.dk - major site about Copenhagen, also in English. Special events should be listed here, and they usually make a list of restaurants and cafes with Christmas opening times.

But I would book Christmas dinner as soon as possible - TODAY - if you don't plan on making it yourself in your apartment. Please notice that December 24 is the big day for the Danes. This is when we eat Christmas dinner and have presents. On December 25 and 26, it is tradition to go to Christmas lunches with family and friends.

Please get back if you have any further questions! Have fun in Copenhagen! Katrine

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Tivoli Hotel
Tivoli Hotel
3,466 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
4. Re: Copenhagen for Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 03, 2009