We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fredericksborg Castle & Kronborg Castle

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fredericksborg Castle & Kronborg Castle

I wonder whether I can do Fredericksborg Castle & Kronborg Castle and Rosenborg Slot in one day?

I will be in Copenhagen in end of May for 2 days.

I wonder whether I can do all those 3 castle in 1 day

and then come back for the Tivoli at evening/night?

Is it too rush? If not, what kind of public transportation should I take, anyone knows of the

schedule? (The day should be a Thursday.) I presume I should be taking the train, where train station will the non-local train start? And what bus/train should I take when I get there?

If it is too rush, then which one should I cut? Kronborg?

Also, I will be staying in Adina hotel, is it

good & convenient? It is getting pretty pricy,

and I wonder whether I should keep the reservation.

What train stop should I take if I get from the

airport to the hotel, and how far is the walk

from the train station? I was told that this

hotel is right by the freeport terminal, is it

true?

Thanks for any information.

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fredericksborg Castle & Kronborg Castle

Greetings!

The answer is no. They're too far apart, and the opening hours are not that long. I was out at Kronborg on Sunday, and it takes about 40-45 minutes by train (depending on how many stops the train makes) from the center of Copenhagen.

Rosenborg is open 10 am to 4 pm in May

Kronborg is open 10:30 am to 5pm in May

Frederiksborg is open 10am to 5pm in May

For either Kronborg, you would take the train from Østerport Station, and including a 15 minute walk to the station, it's about an hour to Helsingør (for Kronborg), then about 10-15 minutes walk to the castle. If you arrived at 10:30, you could spend a few hours there (there's lot to explore at the castle and the town itself is worth poking around), and then take the train back to Copenhagen around 1pm to see Rosenberg. You'd probably want to get off the train at Nørreport for Rosenborg, and just walk to Kongens Have.

Alternatively, you can go to Frederiksborg Castle. According to the DSB travel planner, the easiest route is via Bus 26 to Nordhavn Station and then the S-tog (E line) to Hillerød. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the castle.

Also, you could - although it would be a very full day, do Frederiksborg and Kronborg - it's a 30-35 minute train or train/bus ride between the two places. However, you'd need to plan your day out carefully so that you would arrive in time at each place with enough time to see the castles. With the poor exchange rate, the entrance fees are not inexpensive, and you also want to have enough time to explore the castles properly. All three have surrounding gardens and/or battlements which are fun to walk through.

From the airport, you have two options to getting to the hotel. First, you can take a S-tog directly from the airport to Østeport Station. From there, it's a 15 minute walk or you can get a bus. You'd need to make sure the train stopped at this station, as not all do. Alternatively, you can take the Metro to Nørreport Station and switch to the S-tog there or take the Metro to Kongens Nytorv and get the No. 26 bus there. The latter would include the least walking. All would be the same price as bus/Metro/train tickets are the same and work on a zone basis, so the ticket would be valid for an hour.

Tivoli is open until late at night - and best when the lights are all twinkling anyway - so you could do that after any combination of castles. FYI, it's not the cheapest place to eat, so if you are on a budget, you might want to eat elsewhere.

Kate

2. Re: Fredericksborg Castle & Kronborg Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, September 24, 2009