We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Standard of Living

3 posts
Save Topic
Standard of Living

I'm curious about salaries in Denmark vs Canada. If a person made $100,000/yr in Canada what would a person in Copenhagen need to make to share a similar standard of living?

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
5 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,933 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Standard of Living

I don´t know of any regular Canadian posters here. Besides salaries, a lot of parametres must be counted with, including taxes, health care, educational fees, geography details, transport, housing etc.

But it´s not really a travel-related question, it actually belongs to expat forums, where chances are that you´ll get a good answer, especially if you specify a bit more.

Edited: 5:29 pm, June 11, 2018
uk
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Standard of Living

It’s a very difficult question with an awful lot of variables. I am sure the standard of living of someone earning $100k in a large Canadian city would be different to someone living in a more rural location for example.

Salaries are generally higher in Denmark to account for the higher cost of living, so somebody earning $100k in Canada would probably command a higher salary in Denmark. I transferred from the UK to DK with my company, exactly the same job but got a 25% pay rise as a result for example.

Consider that the average household income in DK is around CAD$50k, you would still have a relatively good standard of living with an income double that.

Mentioned in this post
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Standard of Living

good point - despite being 'tripadvistor' i wasn't thinking only travel related questions...I will continue looking

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Standard of Living

GeordieEngineer - thx for sharing - that helps!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
39 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Standard of Living

I don’t know how accurate it is but I’ve found the comparison site numbeo.com to be very helpful.

Reply to: Standard of Living
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted