We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Copenhagen!

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Copenhagen!

My wife, son and myself are relocating to Copenhagen in the early fall of this year. We have started researching the best ways of going about the process, but I am hoping for some insight from people who participate regularly in this forum. My basic questions are:

Can someone recommend a good job "placement" service.

Does anyone know of a good site that has apartment sub-let listings.

Although I speak decent Danish, apart from the shipping industry, can anyone recommend some international companies in CPH / Sjaelland that deal with a lot of non-danish business (looking for English speaking jobs at start)

Any other tips, suggestions, advice, like stories, warnings etc...would be greatly appreciated. Mange Tak.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

How exciting.

I assume your know a little about the very complex rules for non-Danes getting a work permit in Denmark.

If not this official site has information:

http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us

I found these sites that offers jobs for English speakers:

http://www.jobsincopenhagen.com/

http://www.workindenmark.dk/

You might find an apartment to rent here:

http://www.boligportal.dk/index.php

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

The pharmaceutical industry also has lots of English language postings, both for technical and more sales/promotional based jobs.

I also assume you are either a Danish citizen or know about the work permit system. For if you are not an EU citizen, it's highly unlikely that you can get a work permit whilst you are in Denmark. Not sure what the deal is if you are married to a citizen - definately helps.

Usually non-EU citizens must apply for a job, and have the work permit secured before you can enter the country. Generally you can't switch from one visa status to another while in the country, with the exception of students. And it's not easy. I'd love to work in Denmark, but the chances of being hired, given that I'm not an EU citizen - and even though I speak some Danish - are pretty close to nil.

Kate

La Jolla, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

Thanks for the feedback! Both my wife and my 10 month old son are Danish Citizens. It appears that we have to apply via "Family Re-unification" . We have never lived apart, but because of the way the DK govt. has their immigration system set up, this seems to be the most applicable course to take.

My wife and son could move to DK tomorrow and fit right into the system, however it looks like it would take me upwards of 5 to 6 months to receive a residency visa. In order to get that visa, however, my wife needs to prove that she can support our family with her income unitl I can get a job. Seeing as how we both live together in CA and don't have jobs over there yet, it seems a little tricky.

Wondering if seeking the help of a Danish Immigration Attorney would be worth it. Thoughts?

La Jolla, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

BTW - Friscokid and CALDRMR are the same person.

Scotland
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

If Danish immigration & immigration authorities are anything like the UK, I would definately seek out a reputable immigrations attorney or advisor who is familiar with Danish immigrations policies.

With all the red tape, applications etc., I'd think it well worth getting professional advice so that everything goes as smoothly as possible and you don't end up costing yourself extra money or time by doing the wrong or not-quite-right-thing.

It could be that you can go over right away with the right paperwork, but it could be that even if you got a job, you'd have to go back to the US to start the long term visa paperwork. Or you could be told two different things by two different immigrations officials who are poorly informed (been there....).

Good luck!

Kate

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

Hi

I dont know what your field of work is, but it seems like there are special rules for some professions, that make it easier to get a work permit. You can read about it here nyidanmark.dk/en-us/…job_card.htm

Good luck with moving to Denmark, and Im very sorry that we have such an awful government that make it so difficult for foreigners to move to DK.

:)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

Oh and Im not sure, but I think that the company language at IBM is English and they seem to have a lot of vacancies in different fields https:/…WelcomeVacancySearch.do

There might also be a good chance that Microsoft Denmark use English as working language and they also seem to have vacancies …microsoft.com/careers/…

:)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

saxobank also have english as working language. look at www. saxobank.dk

La Jolla, CA
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

Thanks for the input!

10. Re: Moving to Copenhagen!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 29, 2009