We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

We're thinking of visiting Bornholm in the summer and maybe staying a night or two. Can anyone suggest what would be a good place to base ourselves - Ronne or Allinge - and is it easy to get around by public transport?

Thanks.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

It's possible but I won't call it easy to get around Bornholm by public transport - a car is very nice to have.

www.rejseplanen.dk covers Bornholm as well.

I would suggest that you stay around Gudhjem or Svaneke and the Allinge area as a third option.

Rønne is the main city but it's not where the most spectacular nature is.

Gudhjem and Svaneke are magic places in the summer - Rønne is more of a transit place and where people go to stock up on stuff before staying in summer cabins.

UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

Thanks very much for the recommendation. We will probably book at Gudhjem - it does look beautiful.

Horsholm, Denmark
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

I definitely agree that Allinge or Gudhjem is a far better choice then Rønne. There are so many things to do up that coastline and it is very beautiful.

I have no idea about your age or whether you are traveling with kids, but enjoy the ambiance at the harbors and don't forget to have a smoked herring at one of the places where they smoke them. his is usually around the harbour in any of the coastal villages. In Allinge it is situated just behind the harbor and they have a really good fish buffet,

Renting a bike is also an option for you, but it is really hilly on this part of the coast.

london
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

Just submitted a review of a hotel we stayed at during a film festival in gudhjem last year and saw your post.

Gudhjem is a lovely town as it's in the middle of the costal stretch on the east side which I think has the best seaviews and some pretty nice hidden gems along the way.

Public transport was too difficult so we rented a couple of bikes and there seems to be bike lanes everywhere, how good is that?!

Check this out which give you a good idea how the surrounding area Gudhjem looks like http://vimeo.com/9911263

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

Many of the bicycle tracks are not just lanes along the main roads but are tracks in the countryside far away from the roads. Most of these follow the island's old railway network, which is now closed down since a long time ago. But you will still see the occasional station building along the bicycle tracks.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

Regarding transport

Our family has now kept our summer - and also other - vacations every year during 8 years, in Bornholm, mostly with a base in Gudhjem, but also a couples in Allinge.

We have always only used public transport between, and found it fine for transport between the towns, with relatively high frequence, while we have rented bikes for local transport around our base.

UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

Hi

We're staying at Stammershalle on Bornholm, and have been to visit Osterlas church, Gudhjem, and the Kunstmuseum and Helligdommen. We have one more day and were thinking of taking a bus ride around some of the places we haven't been, with maybe a couple of stops to see things. Any suggestions as to what the picturesque route(s) would be? Possibilities are Hammerhus and Svaneke and \aakirkeby. Someone on the forum suggested Blaaskinsdalen, Kobbedalen, and Ro Plantage. Would welcome any suggestions.

(We've found ourselves spending a lot of time waiting at bus stops so far, because the buses aren't too frequent, and some aren't running yet (7/8) or very frequent (9).)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

IF the weather is not too great I would visit Svaneke, it's a lovely place with great beer, smoked herring and wonderful surroundings.

If It's great I would visit Hammershus - and perhaps walk down to Sandvig and Allinge for lunch - or down to the small harbour for a boatride to the cliff formations and the grotto.

UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

Thanks, Andreadoria. I was just coming to a similar conclusion, so you've confirmed what we thought. Weather has been good today, after thunderstorms and lots of rain last night, so hopefully tomorrow will be similar!

UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should we base ourselves in Bornholm?

We did both in the end: a walk around Hammerhus, and a visit (by bus) to the castle ruins, and a flying visit to Svaneke. On balance, I wish we'd spent much more time in Svaneke, which looked more interesting than Gudhjem, but the buses were not good. (Missed a connection and hitched a lift to catch up with the missed bus.) I would recommend Svaneke highly to anyone who's wondering what's worth visiting.