We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Skopelos

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Skopelos

Hi, We're considering visiting Skopelos for a week during August. We'd like to stay in a traditional style Greek village that has 4/5 restaurants/bars to visit during the week. We're considering Glossa but am a little concerned that it may be too quiet. Could anyone let me know what Glossa is like and are there a few restaurants and tavernas (but nothing too lively!) for a few evening meals out. Thanks, Peter

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Skopelos

Hey and welcome Peter:-) Glossa.. and the isle in general.. will be at it's busiest in August.. it's as 'peak' as it gets;-) Everything will be open.. you'll have an array of eating establishment options as well.. no worries there;-) Just be aware that it will be HOT.. Glossa is perched high up (with some spectacular views).. lots of little, winding cobblestoned streets where pretty much, only mopeds/motorcycles can enter.. and walking up and down:-) If looking looking for more of a beach vaca, you may want to consider staying down in Loutraki which is just below Glossa.. a working fishing village with a number of cafes, tavernas as well:-) Take a look at www.skopelosweb.gr/ for some general isle info.. and EnJOY!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,673 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Skopelos

Hi,

You would be better off in Skopelos town for a choice of restaurants and bars. perhaps rather larger than what you require. Glossa is smaller than your requirement, so it'll be a compromise.

There is enough choice if you include Loutraki below as well.

I stay in Skopelos town as I think Glossa/Loutraki would be a bit dull in the evening, in June, which is quieter than August anyway.

I always visit Glossa/Loutraki area at lunch time every stay on Skopelos. It is very quiet with only maybe a dozen people in the 2 waterside tavernas. Virtually nobody in the others. Thus the decision is to stay in Skopelos town.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Skopelos

Skopelos Town can work as well.. but if looking for 'not too lively.. about 4-5 cafe bars, tavernas, etc.., Loutraki/Glossa will certainly fit the bill;-) In August it will be way more busier anyway as opposed to June or Sept with most of the cafes/tavernas pretty full in the evenings! I'm there during the month of Sept.. last year I went to Glossa and Loutraki numerous times during the evening and found in some places you couldn't even find a table which is pretty rare.. especially in Sept;-) There's a wonderful b-b-que place on the main road between Loutraki and Glossa (just before the path up to Glossa) where he takes orders for his chickens.. usually sells out as you can see folks looking for some to take home .. anyway, you couldn't find a table by 9p which is considered early in Greece! You won't mss the place.. give it a try.. and keep enjoyin'!

4. Re: A week in Skopelos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 25, 2014