We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat rental

Van Nuys
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Boat rental

Okay...so the adventurer in me is daring to look into renting a small motorboat for a day on Skopelos. Now, I have never captained a boat. So, for all of you that have done so, is it just a pipe dream to rent one and try it or can I (should I) take lessons somewhere? Are lessons even offered for something like this? I may sound like a total idiot, but I do not want to get into a situation that I die as a result from. I am not a hotdogger by any means so I am not reckless. And I don't do reckless stuff like drink and drive. Any help would be awesome!

Van Nuys
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Boat rental

Look like you are hosed unless you move your travel back day to June 2nd. There is a ferry from Skopelos to Agios Konstantinos on the 2nd and then bus it from there to Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Van Nuys
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Boat rental

omitted

Edited: 10:33 am, May 10, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Boat rental

Hey jonnyskins:-) Well, there is no ferries that goes from Skopelos to Athens (Piraeus)..You have a couple of choices here...you can either take the short ferry ride over to Skiathos (barely 15 min from Glossa) check www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ and take a flight via www.olympicair.com/which would leave you right at the airport.. or.. take the bus/ferry combo offered by www.alkyontravel.gr/ You can book the bus/ferry combo while on Skopelos at the ferry ticket office in Skopelos Town ..located right on the waterfront across from where the ferries come/go! Since this option appears more limited than it in has been in the past years operating Thursdays-Sunday only, would make the res as soon as you arrive on Skopelos for that Sunday, June 3;-) The ferry goes to the mainland at Aghios Constantinos where you board a coach for the approx 2.5-3 ride to Athens..arriving at Kanningos Square where the Alkyon office is located! There is an early morning departure around 7a from Skopelos Town that will get you into Athens proper around 12:30-1p..depending on traffic! Happy planning..and EnjoY!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Glossa
Glossa
Skopelos, Greece
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Exeter, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Boat rental

Thank you litsa but there are no ferries or flights early enough to get us to athens for our 14.50 flight. I was just wondering if anyone knew someone on the island who might be able to take us to the mainland in there own / hired boat. Its a long shot i know but desperation is setting in!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Boat rental

You've very welcome..but..have you considered just getting to Athens the day before and spending the night there?;-) FWIW, not a very good idea trying to hook up a same day flight departure from an isle..especially one that's a bit complicated to get to and from with no airport;)

Even if you found someone to speed boat you over to the mainland at Aghios Constantinos..you'd still need to get to Athens..are you considering this by local bus..can easily take 3+ hours including a stop..the cost alone of hiring a boat to take you over would easily pay for a room in Athens for the night:-) Don't complicate it..lol!! Get to Athens the day before and have a nice finale there..with no stress on catching that flight out..and keep enjoyin'!

Edited: 2:39 pm, May 10, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Exeter, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Boat rental

I am attending my sons wedding on the 2nd and i have to be in belfast on the 3rd. Its a logistical nightmare from start to finish. Thanks for your time. Good man.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Boat rental

..No way is that going to happen with a 2:50p flight! Hopefully, the event or reason you have to be in Belfast on the 3rd doesn't take any more precedence over your son's Wedding:-) You can check www.kayak.com/ for flights/connections from SKG (via Volos) as well as Athens (Aghios Constantinos) but with an obvious later flight departure;-) Congrat's on your son's Wedding..he picked a gem of an isle for the occassion;-) Best.. enjoyin'!

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Skopelos, Greece
Level Contributor
141 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Boat rental

A lot depends on when on Sunday 3 June you need to be at the airport.

Look at this page in SkopelosNews -http://skopelosnews.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/volos-agios-konstantinos-flying-cats-1st-two-weeks-of-june-2012/

or go to www.hsw.gr ... for schedules

if need be there's a 0645 to Volos. Then intercity bus to Athens, then taxi to the airport. Or a taxi directly from Volos to the airport. Or the 16:15 flying cat to Agios Konstantinos and a bus to Athens or a taxi directly from Ag. Konstantinos to the airport. There are car services from Volos which might be less expensive than a regular taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
19. Re: Boat rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, June 04, 2013