We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skopelos town vs. panormos

warrington
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
skopelos town vs. panormos

I'm trying to decide between skopelos town and panormos area this september. I'm a single female traveller . I've been to greece many times before on my own and feel more than safe.

What I cant decide is whether I want the beach or the town. How busy is panormos in september? I like it chilled and laid back, but not too chilled and laid back. I'm just concerned that panormos may be a bit too quiet in mid september...

Any help would be much appreciated

xx

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
483 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: skopelos town vs. panormos

Hi Susan

September is the end of the season and you may find that Panormos, although less crowded on the beach, may be a bit too quiet for you. The whole island will be winding down mid September so I'd stick with town if I were you and make trips out to the beaches. Weather can be a bit unpredictable as well around that time so hiring a car to explore when the sun isn't shining enough for lying on the beach would be a good idea.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: skopelos town vs. panormos

Hey and welcome susan84:-) Although I try not to miss a Sept on Panormos, I also agree w/veganprin here since it is a personal call;-) I travel solo on many occassions and absolutely love the 'laid back' atmosphere on Panormos where I've been basing now for well over 10 years! If you're looking for a bit more nightlife..choice..Skopelos Town may better suit! I usually head into Town at night if I feel the need for anything more but find Panormos fits the bill for me since I look for the 'mellow' on this particular vacation yearly;-) Sept is IMO the best time..although it does go through 'changes' w/weather, when over, it usually results in a wonderful Indian Summer that can last well into Oct..and onwards! Let us know how it goes..happy planning and EnjoY!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: skopelos town vs. panormos

Simple choice really - Skopelos is a busy characterful island town and Panormos is a very small 'one street' summer resort. Panormos is too small to have much life in season never mind mid-season in September. The beach is rubbish pebbles/shingle so even that is no attraction. Skopelos town is where all the action is. The latter is applicable to all the other 3 North Sporades islands as well. So it's pretty clear cut, what you choose is of course entirely up to you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: skopelos town vs. panormos

Well again RH..appears you think most beaches here are 'rubbish' to iclude Adrina Beach..and now Panormos;-) Again, it's a personal call for all and I personally prefer the pebble beaches and find them so much more enjoyable than sand..but would hardly go around calling sand beaches rubbish since they are not my pref! Everyone can take a look at the magnificent beaches at www.skopelosweb.gr/ and decide for themselves! Keep enjoyin' all!

London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: skopelos town vs. panormos

Hi Susan !

Panormos is very charming ... still I would suggest you to stay in the Chora, at Skopelos town ...

Maybe because you won't feel so lonely .... but still this is my point of view :)

Skopelos is amazing, I really love this island. There is place for everyone also in high season and I think it is very chic !

Enjoy your stay in Sporades Islands

ursula

http://ursula.blogdns.net/

Belgrade
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
6. Re: skopelos town vs. panormos

Well, the answer to your question depends on whether the bus service in September is still frequent, as it was during July/ August.

As far as I know, the peak season for buses starts from July 6/7 but I am not sure when this peak season ends (usually at the end of the first week in September).

So, I suggest you to stay in Panormos (which is also my favorite spot for the accomodation during late June/July/August) only in case that there is still a frequent bus servise in September.

Best regards from sunny Belgrade

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: skopelos town vs. panormos

Hey again:-) Bus service is less frequent in Sept..last bus usually runs around 10p..don't remember exact timing since it changes sometime early in the month usually depending on demand..but I know I've needed to grab a cab some nights to get back to Panormos from Skopelos Town..convenient enough during the day, but again, more limited! Keep enjoyin'!

8. Re: skopelos town vs. panormos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Skopelos