We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skopelos or Skiathos?

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Skopelos or Skiathos?

Hi, I am planning on visiting the islands early September next year but can't decide weather to stay on Skopelos or Skiathos!

Am thinking of staying on Skiathos and going on a day trip over to Skopelos, but how easy is this to do and would it be enough time to see much over there? I really want to see some of the mamma mia film locations! Any advice appreciated : )

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
852 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

Hi,

Go to Skiathos as there is much more to do there however don't get me wrong Skopelos is lovely but a lot quieter. It's very easy to get across to Skopelos either via ferry or trips. Skiathos really has got something for everyone it was one of my best holidays, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

regards

michaela

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

Why decide at all, just go and stay on Skopelos for a few days, it's as easy as that. There are plentiful regular ferries/hydofoils/catamarans every day, dead easy.

Assuming you have say 14 nights just book say 4 nights on Skopelos and 10 nights on Skiathos.

I don't do packages but I'm sure there is someone that will one week on each.

One day is just not enough time to see Skopelos or Alonissos, other than a 'been there, done that scenario'.

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

I have just returned from skiathos and although the town is fab, i was very dissapointed with the beaches.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

Def try and stay on both, or even all three. Ferry travel really easy-timetables posted on boards outside the ticket offices. Everyone speaks English and very helpful with journey planning. For convenience try and finish your trip on Skiathos as it can be a pain timing ferries and getting back there for flight home.

Mentioned in this post
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

If you can split your time between the 2, it would be ideal...Skopelos is about 3 times the size of Skiathos so definetely not do-able (properly) in a day trip over..Skopelos has 2 entry ports..the one closest to Skiathos (Glossa) is about a 15 min ride..doesn't get closer (or easier)..some beautiful beaches to be had for sure! From Skopelos Town, the ferry over to Alonissos is again 15 min..another wonderful isle worth visiting:-) The Sporades are super close to each other so getting from one to another won't pose any problems..once you've planted yourself, moving will be the hard part:-) EnjoY!

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
Glossa
Glossa
Skopelos, Greece
United States
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

It all depends on what kind of vacation you want. I went to both this year and thought Skopelos was, by far, the most amazing of the two. Skiathos seems a little more tourist oriented and, although the beaches are beautiful, I found the overall beauty of Skopelos much more pleasurable and varried. The locals, in my experience, were very kind and welcoming. I would recomend staying in skopelos town as there are some options for late night. Sure, Skiathos has all the night clubs but if your looking for a true greek island experience versus a "tourist destination" vacation, stay for a majority of your time in skopelos!

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
483 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

I'd recommend Skopelos but then I would say that as I live here!

It really depends on what type of holiday you want and what type of person you are! Personally I'm not that keen on Skiathos as it's a bit too touristy for me. Skopelos has a more laid back feel (unless you come in August when all the Greek and Italian holidaymakers are here!). As for seeing the Mamma Mia locations, you really need more than a day on Skopelos to be able to get around to them.

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,010 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

Hi,

If you do want to do both islands you can do it as part of a package but you have to usually do a week on both if you do a package. Manos do it and Olympic I think and I would have thought Thomson do it too. I preferred Skopelos myself as it wasn't as crowded and more unspoilt.

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

For me it would definitely be Skopelos every time. I really enjoy going on holiday and getting it away from it all and that includes getting away from british/irish pubs/ full english. In skopelos it is very greek and you don't see any english breakfast/ Chelsea v Man Utd / Greek Nights. When you arrive in Skiathos walk around and you will see all of the above within a few minutes.

I know some people enjoy a few home comforts when away so if thats what you want stick with Skiathos.

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece
Skiathos
Skiathos
Sporades, Greece
London
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Skopelos or Skiathos?

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I don't want nightclubs or loads of brits, but like somewhere that does have a choice of restraunts to eat at in the evenings. Skopelos does sound more beautiful but does it have many sandy beaches?

Mentioned in this post
Skopelos Town
Skopelos Town
Skopelos, Greece