We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Skopelos for marine life

Skopelos
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to Skopelos for marine life

There are many reasons to choose to move to Skopelos. As a marine biologist, I was first drawn to the National Sporades Marine Park. But I soon found Skopelos had much to offer and plunged in to buy a house in the old town.

The marinelife reserve which first attracted my attention is actually centred on neighbouring Alonnisos and her surrounding islets. But Alonnisos proved a touch too quiet for me. And Skiathos, with its airport, rather too busy. Skopelos strikes just the right balance. Indeed; Skopelos is off the beaten track, but not too remote. It is not too big, but not too small. And it is modern and cosmopolitan, but has kept its traditional character. Exploring Skopelos further you soon realise that it is rightly known as the ‘green and blue’ island of Greece. The islands of the Cyclades have much allure, but few trees. The Ionians are green – but at the cost of wet, wet winters. Skopelos has it just right. The green is provided by 10 million pines and 3 million olive trees. And with trails throughout these lush hills and valleys, the walking and cycling is superb.

But it was the ‘blue’ bit that really got me. Skopelos has a fabulous, varied coastline of sweeping beaches and rugged cliffs. All but a couple of the beaches are made up of pebbles - and this suits the snorkeller just fine. Sand makes for poor visibility, as well as attracting the tourist hordes. The rockier bays and inlets of Skopelos, with their caves and submerged rocks, give the snorkeller more to explore. This varied underwater habitat means a greater range of beasties, with; sea urchins, squid, Octopi and dozens of fish species frequently seen. There is no need to dive down deep or swim far out to see such wildlife treasures, and a tavernas is always nearby should you fancy eating some of it.

The marine park is a short boat ride away. And here you can readily see one of the world’s most endangered mammals; the Mediterranean Monk Seal, of which there are only 600 or so left. The warm seas of the Mediterranean are often strangely lacking in seabirds, but here in the Sporades they are impressive, with the effortless flying of the shearwaters being especially so.

But if marinelife is not your main interest, and you are more drawn to traditional life, or modern bars, or walking, or good beaches… Skopelos has a little of it all. It was this laid back balance of everything I liked about Greece that led me to settle on Skopelos. From 1400 Greek islands I chose Skopelos. Of course, I can’t say I explored all of them before choosing. I didn’t have to.

Boston, US
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Skopelos for marine life

Thank you for such a wonderful post! I too love Skopelos and want to go back. The funny thing in my case though is that I never set foot to Skopelos land. I docked with a friend's yacht at one of the island's nature made inlet and I was so mesmerized by the island's beauty. The rich vegetation that covers the rocks, the beautiful water and the peace make this island unique. Your post made me want to go back. :o) Amy

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Skopelos for marine life

Ahhhh...What can I say?! My personal fav...There every year since I first laid eyes on it...Back in May..can't wait:) Enjoy all!

3. Re: Moving to Skopelos for marine life

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 28, 2009