We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort for young(ish) couple

Haltwhistle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Resort for young(ish) couple

Hi all,

Sorry I know this has been asked time and time again but am looking for some recommendations for resorts on Skiathos. We're a couple, both 30, definitely after proximity to a beach as well as tavernas. We'd like to be able to at least visit Skiathos Town fairly easily (without a car). We like having a drink but won't be going clubbing - so somewhere lively, but not like something on Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents. From what I've read Skiathos doesn't really have that type of resort anyway. We'll be coming early July, probably with Thomson, preferably via Newcastle Airport. Last year was Skala in Kefalonia and somewhere similar would be grand - wouldn't even mind somewhere a bit smaller!

Hotel recommendations would be great too, cheers!

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

On Skiathos with the exception of Skiathos town everywhere is smaller that Scala as the island is only about 6 miles by 3 miles. Without a car you would have to use the excellent bus service (or taxis) that runs from the town to Koukounaries, 26 bus stops in all taking 20 – 25 minutes. They run from early morning until about 1AM in peak season.

There are over 60 beaches to choose from and all the villages have some great tavernas.

Woody’s Google map shows most of the main attractions etc. - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms…

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
744 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

I would recommend Troulos, we are in our 30's & we'll be there in July for our 4th visit. We have also been to Skala & liked it but it didn't grab us like skiathos has. Lovely beach in walking distance & a bus ride to town but nice & laid back in the evening with plenty of tavernas & a couple of bars.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

We've been to Skala and it doesn't compare with Skiathos, what I mean is, in my opinion Skiathos has much more to offer. Anywhere on the island would be fine, we're going back to Troulos again this year, nice and flat.

Edited: 4:01 pm, February 23, 2014
wigan
Level Contributor
807 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

Hi Alyson. Much as we love Kef it just doesn,t compare to Skiathos. Troulos would be ideal for you as it,s only 20 mins from town by bus or there is lots of fab taverna,s if you want to stay local.

Enjoy

Haltwhistle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

Thanks so much everyone! Was looking at Troulos with interest so I think you've confirmed that one for me :-) Just need to decide who to book through and what accommodation to go for now yey!

Durham
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

Alyson,

I've told this story before but here goes, some years ago we stayed in Scala and had a great holiday. Lovely hotel and a lovely island. We got talking to a couple one night who asked us if we were having a good time and we told them we were and we would be returning.

They then started telling us about Skiathos and Troulos where they holidayed every year. Basically they said "If you like this you'll love Skiathos ".

Never did go back to Scala, this year will be our 7th to Skiathos !

We don't stay in Troulos mind, we prefer the town.

Get it booked you'll love it.

Gary

Haltwhistle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

Cheers Gary that's great - and very reassuring!

Haltwhistle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

P.S. any accommodation advice would be great! We usually go through Thomson but are open to suggestion with other operators (would prefer a package though for ease/price - but not all inclusive as want to sample the bars and tavernas!)

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

These are the main tour companys - Thomson, Thomas Cook, Olympic, Cosmos and Sunvil.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Resort for young(ish) couple

I would recommend staying next to the town at Megali Ammos beach . This is within walking distance of the town and handy for buses to visit the other beaches. I have visited most of the other resorts but always prefer this one. I would also recommend that you book a flight and book your accommodation separately.( I know you prefer to book a package but I always find you have more choice this way)

Angeliki beach hotel is excellent and also The Aphrodite Studios have very good reviews and both are directly on the beach and near to many tavernas.