We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

Towcester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

HI There

We are a couple in their late thirties planning to go to Kefalonia in the first 2 weeks of September. We are looking for sun and nice weather, nice restaurants, cafes and somewhere to have a drink in the evening. Definitely not interested in noisy night clubs. We have been to Lindos in Rhodes and Elounda in Crete and loved them both so would like to stay in a similar place.

I have heard that the weather may not be the best in September? Is that true?

Also, could anyone recommend the best town / village to stay in Skiathos in September?

Thank you for any comments / suggestions

Jo

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

Hi Jo, your post is slightly confusing, you mention you are planning to go to Kefalonia, then ask about Skiathos. Which island do you want info on?

Thanks,

Towcester, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

Apologies it was my typo mistake. Thank you for spotting it thou:-)

Skiathos is what I meant.

Thank you

Jo

essex
Level Contributor
667 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

September great time to visit skiathos I stay in town buy whole island is small and easy to get around so any resort is good to stay in

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
532 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

Hi there,

We're a couple approaching 30 this year and we've been to Skiathos twice (once in July) and last year we went last week August/first week September.

Skiathos is our favourite place in the world but we both weren't keen on September. We saw a big change in the weather and atmosphere just in one week. It became really windy and a lot of people seemed to have drifted off back home. Quite a few boat trips were cancelled because of the bad wind and I was told by a local that it's normal for that time of year.

The town was still busy but it didn't have the same "buzz" as we've experienced before. But the weather was the main thing for us because it was so windy and a lot cooler than we've been used to. We both found that we got a bit nippy on an evening and didn't seem to get in the pool/sea as much because we weren't hot enough.

It all really boils down to what you prefer because you might like it a bit cooler but we personally won't travel to Skiathos in September again. Plus the wasps were really bad.

I would travel in either June/July/August. To be honest if you can get there in August it's perfect because believe it or not we found July to be hotter (heatwave hot) whereas August was boiling but bearable.

Sorry for babbling on but I do love Skiathos and just want to ensure you pick the right time of year to visit because it really does have a very short season.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,645 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

The first two weeks of September are usualy lovely. Its probably the best time of the year to visit, the water is warm, the mass visiting mainlanders, and Italians usually have departed the island.

Boat trips were called off due to high winds, on certain days every month of the tourist season, last year. It was a unique experience for everyone concerned. Wasps were present all season, same as the mossies. In fact they were around last week too.

One thing about last year - It was warm, but very windy - not a scorcher, no heatwaves. So probably will be this year instead ...

essex
Level Contributor
667 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

ive been a few times in sept both early and late and ive had good weather must have been lucky great time to visit the locals more relaxed more time to chat that's just my opinion

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

Hey and welcome Jo;-) Have to agree with SL1.. the first 2 weeks of the month.. for the most part.. are the very best.. especially for swimming since the waters have been sun-kissed all Summer long;) It's my most favorite time of the year basing next door at Skopelos.. and usually stay till the end of the month:-) Weather changes do occur.. again, usually around mid to late month although no one can predict when.. usually involves some cloudy/rainy days that can last only for a few days or on up to week+.. again, no crystal ball;-) A wonderful Indian Summer emerges after the 'change' that can last well into Oct with wonderful warm, sunny days and even warmer seas;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
418 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

We have been to Lindos for a few years and found Skiathos to be a lot cooler, some nights as someone said quite windy, also a bit of rain. But for most of the time there the temp was good, also be prepared quite a lot of mozzies never had a problem in Rhodes.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

Litsa, SL1 and Buster have summed it up nicely, September is a favourite time of mine to be on the island too. Out of the two weeks that I was there last year we had just a couple of off days, the rest were hot and sunny.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is September a good time to visit Skiathos?

Have to say that I think the 1st 2 weeks of September are perfect. Been that time twice and although I'm going in June this year I will be booking for September 2015 (God willing!!)

I think its still quite hot, even the evenings and SL may disagree with me but I thought it was quite busy!