We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunbed & beach tavern licences

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Sunbed & beach tavern licences

I see from Ian's blog that elections for the post of Mayor take place on 20th & 27th May. I wonder what effect this will have on the timing of the licences to operate the sunbed concessions and beach tavernas. I seem to remember that last year the licences were only issued for one year so I hope that the election doesn't lead to a big delay in issuing them this time.

Bob

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunbed & beach tavern licences

I thought the issuing of licences for tavernas/sunbed concessions was throughout Greece not just on the island. As a matter of interest who actually gives the nod to the successful applicants, the Mayor or a 'department'? We need SL1 to clarify I think Bob.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunbed & beach tavern licences

Its nothing to do with the Mayor or the Island council just the same as last year. The sealed envelope bidding process is now all managed centrally by the government. I understand all the money raised from the beach licences, now goes direct to the troika, to finance repayment of Greek debt ...

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunbed & beach tavern licences

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised that they had changed the system. Will it be done on a yearly basis again or will it be a longer period?

Bob

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunbed & beach tavern licences

Same process as last year - Annually, so having all year to plan for it, they will probably hold it in June - after the European elections ...

5. Re: Sunbed & beach tavern licences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos