We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

My wife booked our 2 week 2014 self catering Holiday to Cyprus on May 1st last year. She had a phone call yesterday from our tour operator to say the Hotel had double booked our accommodation. We had paid extra to have a Sea view, booking early gave us the best opportunity to achieve this, and it was an option to pay extra to ensure this. The Hotel has kindly offered us £20 compensation to move to accommodation without a sea view. Naturally this is somewhat disappointing. I’m aware booking early counts for nothing in these matters. And in our experience double booking is not uncommon.

The tour company has at least escalated this to area manager level. So maybe we will be OK.

However we have also been given the option to book another holiday. Quite honestly I don’t fancy staying with that Hotel chain now at all. Being confirmed lovers of Greek holidays I would not hesitate in booking a Holiday to Skiathos instead. From the You Tube videos I’ve seen it does look verdant and very beautiful.

Practically though I would still want to consider a few things.

Would if the cost of self catering and also eating out in Skiathos be a big premium compared to the busy east coast side of Cyprus? In our experience some Greek destinations give you much better value than others, (Say Zante compared to Rhodes). Expenses have to be of some consideration.

I wonder if the relative small size of Skiathos would mean less excursion possibilities.

And also if the Greek authenticity is somewhat diminished a little again due to its size.

My preference would be to stay in the resort of Koukounaries. Are there any draw backs to this resort?

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Cheers

Rob

Edited: 5:09 pm, January 11, 2014
Essex
Level Contributor
930 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

Are you keeping the same dates ? As I do believe Skiathos doesn't start till the 2nd week in May

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

Definitely give Skiathos a try, we find it very reasonable to eat out & I'm sure after the first visit you'll be hooked!

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

We would be going in the school holidays, so we’ve chosen early August.

I’ve been to Halkidiki (Pefkohori), Cephalonia (Skala), Zante (Alykes). (Really enjoyed all three of those). Then down south to Kos, Rhodes and Cyprus. I personally prefer the northern Greek destinations. But always had a good holiday where ever I’ve been.

We (my wife) had more money to spend on a holiday this year, although she booked Cyprus (that’s fine). I would have chosen Skiathos. We haven’t been before because were usually on a tight budget, and Skiathos has always come out dearer. If it transpires my way when things are settled by our tour company, then it will be Skiathos. I hope they don’t take too long.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

We find that you can easily eat out at a reasonable price. There are slightly more expensive places but there are so many tavernas that you wouldn't have any problem in finding ones to suit your budget. There are quite a few different boat trips . If you like walking then there are a number of island trails around the island. With regards to Koukounaries we have never stayed there, only had a quick visit when we hired a car, so can't comment on accommodation or what the area offers. We always stay around the town. I am sure you will be able to find what you require in Skiathos and as AuntDiddy says ,that like most people who visit , you will be hooked.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

Thanks for the replies.

From what I’ve seen on the You Tube clips it would take some beating. It may be the holy grail of Greek destinations for us. In all Greece It’s definitely the one place I haven’t been to that I really want to go to. (Oh and Athens second)

Edited: 6:36 pm, January 11, 2014
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

We have also been to Kefalonia, Zante & Halkidiki but Skiathos is our favourite. Tried Crete last year for a change but back to Skiathos again this year for 4th time, it just has something special that keeps drawing us back. Hope you get things sorted out soon so you can book & start the countdown!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
710 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

Know what you mean. Always wanted to go to greece and I think it was in 2002 when we decided to try Rhodes. That was it for us our intention being to visit as much of Greece as we could. We have been to Parga, Rhodes, Zante, Kefalonia, Santorini and then we were recommended Skiathos and that was it for us . We have looked at other Places in Greece but as yet we haven't found anywhere to wet our appetite. We may one day but for now the pull of this little island is what keeps us going back and keeps us going through the winter months in the UK. I hope you do decide to go, I am sue you will love it

halifax
Level Contributor
881 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

Hi GR33 sorry to hear of your double Booking especially as you booked so early for this year, surely you were the first to book and as such should have been able to keep your original choice.

If you look on the thread (new to Skiathos)on this forum you will see some very helpful information re Skiathos and I have put a couple of posts re Koukanaries on as this is where we stay.

Do you go self catering or Hotel with meals included.

We have always fancied Cyprus but it has always worked out more expensive when we have been doing our calculations and we find that the the Greek Islands that we love(Aghia Efimia in Kefalonia. Elounda in Crete and Koukanaries roughly the same and very reasonable if you are self catering and eating out at night.

Skiathos town is very Greek and very pretty with lots of choice to eat somewhere different every night,there are lovely boat trips and a wonderful bus service from one end of the island to the other (so no need to go to the expense of hiring a car only 2 or 3 euros a trip and every 15 minutes.nb Koukanairies is one of the last stops so you are guaranteed a seat.

Have a look at the other posts on that thread and there are some lovely pics that Steve has put on to give you a feel for the island.

Hope you manage to sort something out.

Sue.

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

Hi

Sorry I have only flown into Skiathos but stayed in Skopelos. However as regards your concerns about self catering and eating out costs we find Greece cheaper than Cyprus. My father in law has a house at the base of the Troudos mountains in Cyprus and they stay out there for substantial periods of time. At the moment he feels that Cyprus food and eating out costs are about 50% more than you would pay in Britain generally - although bargains can still be found! However we spent 2 weeks in Kefalonia in August last year and for a family of four for food and eating out we budgeted approx 100-120 euros a day and this was very comfortable. Hope this helps in your decision making!

Durham
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Double booking - Now considering Skiathios

Rob, go with your instinct.

Skiathos is totally different to the east coast of Cyprus. Whilst that part of Cyprus does have great beaches that's about all it has in common with Skiathos.

We have been visiting both areas for years now, Skiathos by choice and Cyprus because, uptil last week, our daughter lived there.

Skiathos is much prettier than Cyprus, is much cheaper once you get there and still retains the traditional Greek feel.

Try Skiathos, you'll be hooked.

Good Luck, Gary