We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frugal tips!

4 posts
Save Topic
Frugal tips!

Hi, first timer here! Going to Skiathos on 28th of June and staying in Agia Paraskevi. Couldn't be more excited but am also getting a bit nervous about how much it will cost out there. The holiday was a present from my lovely Dad, which I could never have afforded on my own, but I am paying for spends out there. Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated! I have read though quite a few forum entries, which have been really helpful, but if anyone has any extra info i.e. cheaper tavernas, the local knowledge would be a real help!

Cheers!

Lincoln, UK
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frugal tips!

In general, tavernas seem to be priced around the same. There is always exceptions even in Skiathos. In Aghia Paraskevi there are plenty of tavernas to eat in. To be frugal, I would guess that if you are wanting to only eat a main course, you can usually get them starting around €8 per person. Steaks are usually the most expensive things on the menu (fillet €20ish). Try Souvlaki (chicken/pork kebabs on sticks), they are usually cheapish and very nice). A greek salad to accompany it would cost around around €4-5 (enough for two). Drinks would be about €2.50 for a Mythos beer and about the same for a glass of house wine.

The tavernas in Skiathos Town especially around the harbours tend to charge more, but there are places that you can eat more cheaply, it will be a case of looking around for them.

For lunch instead of going to a taverna, go to the supermarket in the morning and get Skiathos/Skopelos pies. They are excellent. Take your own water/drinks purchased form the supermarket to the beach. Or get bread and make you own sandwiches.

On the beach, the sunbeds/parasols cost €8 a day, take your own towels/beach things and sit on the sand.

As a couple, I would say we budget for about €60 a day. That includes food, drinks and sunbeds.

Hopefully I have been a little help.

Richard

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frugal tips!

Just remember if you are sitting in a bar or cafe with a lovely view of the harbour then that will be reflected in the price of your drinks !! Instead of eating in at taverna every night buy a gyro or kebab and take it down to the harbour to eat. If you like breakfast cereal take your own and buy Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit there. Buy local not Uk brands in shops. if you like wine buy a large bottle at the supermarket and enjoy a drink back at your apartment/ hotel watching the stars. The buses are a great way to get around and cheap. Enjoy!

Edited: 12:01 pm, May 23, 2013
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frugal tips!

Get a free map from the stand in arrivals when you get there.

A bus to town from AP is only €1.60 each way, and you can easily spend a few hours/days there.

If you are in town, and you want to stock up on provisions, go to the Carrefour near bus stop 3 on the ring road. Some things there are much cheaper than they will be in resort, particularly loose items over the deli counter, milk, possibly fruit and veg etc. Don't worry if you can't speak Greek, the assistants are very helpful..

Walking is free! Walk through the forest at Koukounaries to Mandraki beach on the north coast, or if the fancy takes you, further afield.

A gyros pitta will cost you about €2.50, even if eaten inside, and is pretty filling. I'm not familiar with the tavernas etc in AP, maybe others can say if there are grill-houses there? If not, there are plenty in town. Choose your location carefully and you can spend a nice time idly people-watching.

Apart from gyros, roast chicken is usually the cheapest main course on a menu, and is often served in a massive portion.

In many places you can get 0.5 l of house wine for the same price, or not a lot more, as 0.5 l beer.

Take suncream with you, it's very expensive out there.

Take a cool bag with you. Assuming you have a fridge with a freezer compartment in your room/studio, freeze down a 330 or 500ml innocent/coke type bottle filled with water - it makes a good ice insert to keep your beer and sandwiches cold ;), plus you can drink it as it thaws - and it's still ice-cold!

Wine in an ordinary size bottle with a cork is always a lot more expensive pro-rata than larger screw-topped bottles of exactly the same stuff. Also some of the litre cardboard tetrapak boxes of wine are OK, for about €2.50 or even less.

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frugal tips!

It was a few years since I was in AP it can be pricey but it does to look around.we did find Green Park reasonable and they did a carafe of house wine for a very reasonable cost and food was really nice . It is off the beaten track maybe thats why it was more reasonable.

I agree to use the supermarkets where you can its much cheaper

wigan
Level Contributor
840 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frugal tips!

Hi mistymcfisty. For a cheap meal out in town try Koziakis (the ding dong man). Fantastic tasty chicken off the spit, loads of it and dirt cheap.

Enjoy.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Frugal tips!

Thanks everyone, some great tips! Perked me up no end!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Frugal tips!

You could always have a Gyros pitta for a cheap tea, they are only a couple of Euros each. You don't have to spend a fortune for a decent meal just check out the menus before you sit down.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Frugal tips!

There is some very decent wine in Asteras - 'with a cork' and its under €3 a bottle. It retails in the restaurants and tavernas at €10+ a bottle. The best Greek beer on the island FIX is on offer at carrefour at €3.80 per 4 can pack.

Gyros at No Name is €2.50 and real pork or chicken, freshly made on the premises each evening.

A draft beer served with snacks/meze right on the harbour front is just €2.50 at Syraino. Next door at Kabourelias, a Tsipouro or ouzo with snacks is around €3 and great value for money.

Other options are available, just ask to see the menu, and check to ensure the beers are being served in 500ml bottles and not 330ml bottles ...

Edited: 11:33 pm, May 23, 2013
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Frugal tips!

For a short while last week those 4 packs of large Fix cans were less than €3. They also had a Greek canned beer in a pink/red can, on offer at €0.39 for a 0.33 l can. Sorry I've forgotten the name, think it began with a B, but I can remember it was perfectly drinkable!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Frugal tips!

Hmm, it was actually Stadelbrau, that well-known word beginning with 'B'!!

www.ratebeer.com/beer/stadelbrau/51423/

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos