We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
166 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

Hi

We've previously been to Corfu, Santorini, Ios & Mykonos as a couple. We loved Ios for its gorgeous water and nightlife, we loved Mykonos for its pretty white houses, alley ways, good beaches and nice food. Santorini was truly magical, but not ideal for beaches. Corfu was too touristy. This time we are travelling with a 1 yo and 3yo, so we don't want to move around too much. We will be travelling in April-May 2014 for 2-3 weeks.

We want to be in walking distance of a gorgeous family friendly beach,access to authentic tavernas, and Greek history/culture.

Has anyone been to Kefalonia, lefkada, and skiathos and could give me an idea about the ambience/vibe of each place?

Thanks

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
364 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

Hi,

we have not been to lefkada but our friends have and loved it, they don't like anywhere too touristy either so may be ok for you.We have been to skiathos and loved it, it's not like corfu at all. skiathos town is just full of nice restaurants and harbour. the rest of skiathos is quite laid back and quiet.kefalonia sounds lovely too quite similar to skiathos I think. hope this helps. enjoy your holiday where ever you go.

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

Hi We have been to all 3 places and without doubt Skiathos is the best,however there will be very little activity on any of these islands at the time you want to travel. Most restuarants and hotels etc will only opening for business at the start of May. SL will tell you that the island is always "open" but most of the tourist businesses are not.

hope this helps

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
364 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

yes you are right Elias 22, I wouldn't go till june as it rains quite a lot. we are going to crete for the first time and elounda and sissi sound pretty similar to skiathos and the season starts earlier. hope this helps.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

The 'real island' is open Oct - April as are the local businesses.

The welcome is even warmer then ...

Click the link :

…blogspot.com/-1AnN6m7q9r0/…IMG_6447.JPG

Its officially summer here now, we have daily flights to Athens until November ...

Edited: 2:18 pm, April 01, 2013
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

Skiathos is lovely in May, I've never heard anyone say they wouldn't go until June because "it rains quite a lot" - the odd day or two maybe. Also been out on the first flight of the season many times and the town is well underway for the tourists, it is only the coastal resorts that are quiet. I do agree that April will be much quieter.

I also don't think you can make generalised statements about the other islands it largely depends on where you stay. On Lefkada I stayed in Nidri and didn't particularly like the resort, the beach is narrow and not very sandy, the island itself has stunning scenery. Poros on Kefalonia is where I stayed there, it is a lovely neat resort with a mainly pebble beach, very quiet in May, quieter than Skiathos.

Skiathos Town has the alleyways, tavernas, shops, two lovely harbours and imo nicer ambience and friendlier than Mykonos town, Skiathos also has better beaches than Santorini and Mykonos (although there are one or two really nice beaches) and isn't as touristy as Corfu.

Are you planning on self catering or hotel and would you be hiring a car?

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

try Katelios on Keffalonia it is a great place to chillout and very family friendly.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
166 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

We don't mind self catering, unless we can find a really family friendly resort right on a beach. Skiathos is sounding like a good all rounder. A good point of Skiathos is that it seems we wouldn't need to hire a car (which would mean hiring car seats for little ones etc). We could potentially spend a week in Athens (where we can get our history fix), by that stage it would be end of April, then we could head over to the island. We're coming from Australia, so there's no direct flights to any of the Greek Islands, we'd have to go via Athens. In this regard, which island would be 'easier' to get to with two toddlers in tow? Thanks so much for all your comments :)

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,321 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

If you want a flight to the islands then they are daily from 1st April. Only one flight a day for Kefalonia and Skiathos, However you cannot get a flight to Preveza (for Lefkada) from Athens. It takes around six hours by bus.

So Kefalonia or Skiathos. All the car hire companies have car seats and if you are coming all this way you want to explore a bit - so hire a car ...

Which one to visit ? See you next April ...

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

I have been to all 3 .

For ease of getting around Skiathos would probably suite you better as to get the most out of the other two you really need a car .

Troulos Bay Hotel is right on the beach . Plenty of tavernas to choose from and a lovely sandy beach . Little supermarket a few yards away with a bus stop for trips into Skiathos town or other beaches up and down the coast .

Andy

Edited: 5:31 am, April 02, 2013
Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kefalonia, Lefkada, Skiathos or somewhere else?

I agree with Andy re the Troulos Bay Hotel its in a great position with a pool, it is right on the beach and receives good reviews for its own restaurant.

It might also be worth taking a look at the Skiathos Princess Hotel as they have a larger choice of room types to suit a family, also with a pool (maybe two) and on a good sandy beach at the equally nice Agia Pareskevi, slightly closer to Town but only by two bus stops.

I'm struggling to suggest self catering apartments that are directly on the beach, if price isn't an issue I think I would go for the Princess..I'm thinking about room space for your young ones.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos