We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Resort??

Wirral
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which Resort??

Hi there,

Have been to many Greek islands but never been to Skiathos before, and would appreciate some advice on the best resorts to stay

We are a couple in our early 30's. Like to be near a nice beach but not all the time as like to hire a car to explore the island. In the evening like to be within walking distance of restaurants & tavernas and a few bars. Nothing OTT! Like to stay self catering as my favourite thing in the world is greek food!!!

Can I have opinions on resorts and places of interest to visit. Your help would be really appreciated.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Resort??

Aghia Pareskevi, for access to a good beach, plenty of good accommodation and tavernas in walking distance. Good access by bus either to town, or to Koukounaries in the evenings for something more lively or laid back.

If you hire a car visit the monasteries at Evangelustra and Kounistra - lovely.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Resort??

I can recommend Kolios, next to Aghia Paraskevi. You mioght also want to check out Skiathos Town in the evenings.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Resort??

Alot of the beaches are shingle, we stayed in kolios last year and the beach was dreadful

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Resort??

It's some years since I've been to Skiathos, but I enjoyed it very much. I stayed in Troulos, which had a nice, sandy beach, but not as nice as Koukounaries or Banana. It had a few good tavernas, but not as many as in Skiathos Town. I ended up most days taking the bus to Koukounaries in the afternoon, and to Skiathos Town in the evenings. Trouble is, since Troulos is mid-way between the two, many buses were full by the time they got to Troulos. :o))

Maybe stay in Koukounaries if your priority is beach, or Skiathos Town if you prefer to be near the nightlife.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Resort??

Good advice from Heimdall, let me tell you, shingle beaches on Skiathos are certainly not the norm and if you are a beach person you will have plenty of choice in a small distance.

Gary

Wirral
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Resort??

Thank you for your responses. Really helpful x

Kent
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Resort??

Another option which I'm surprised no one has already mentioned, is to stay in Skiathos town itself, plenty of night life,Megli Amos beach is only a short walk away. You also have the option of almost all the south side beaches via the bus service which is a. cheap and only take 30 minutes from one end of the Island to the other.

Wirral
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Resort??

Thanks - I have felt more drawn to Skiathos town as think it has everything I'm looking for and I suppose will be as lively or as low key as I want it.

As the island is quite small, would you recommend hiring a car and are there any places definately worth a visit??

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Resort??

Hey and welcome WirralBuddy:-) As already mentioned, the bus takes about half an hour to get from one end of the isle to the other..this isle is indeed relatively small at around 11-12 kilometers from one end to the other w/a good bus system making the run stopping at all the beaches enroute..depending on when you're coming..it does get pretty packed though especially in Season;-) Renting a car is always the way to go for best 'flex' time..on your own schedule..come and go as you please w/out depending on the bus schedule..personal call here..see how you feel when there! As far as some things to do...do go visit the dog sanctuary and walk a local friendly pup;-) There are boat excursions taking you to Lalaria Beach..as well as day trips over to Skopelos and Alonissos, home of the Marine Park;-) Have fun..and sure you'll totally Enjoy!

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Resort??

I should say that the beach in Kolios is far from dreadful. Greek beaches tend not to be fine white sand, but many of them are still lovely. I can't think of a shingle beach on Skiathos, to be honest.

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos