We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling with one year old ...

devon uk
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
travelling with one year old ...

Hello

We are off to skiathos in June (cant wait) and will be without a car seat. I was wondering what to put my daughter in whilst on the local buses ? Also we dont have a transfer booked yet ... do you think its wise to pre book so we can request a car seat ? sorry if these are basics, this is our first time abroad with her and want to be prepared !! Thank you in advance.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling with one year old ...

Toodlepop, you might do well to take a car seat for your daughter.

Also, I know you posted that you're staying in Kolios. Can I recommend that you take a taxi from the airport. There are always taxis at the rank outside the arrivals area, iIt'll cost you about 15 euros and be far quicker and easier than the transfer coach. Just be sure to let the rep know at the airport so they aren't looking for you!

Mentioned in this post
Kolios
Kolios
Skiathos, Greece
devon uk
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling with one year old ...

Thank you ! I think u might be right , we were going to get a taxi from the airport but was hoping to use buses around the island. Just need to find out how car seat friendly Viking airlines are now !

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling with one year old ...

The bus service on Skiathos is very user friendly.

Are you allowed to use baby car seats on planes these days, or is your baby travelling free and having to travel on your lap? Now that my baby is almost 24, I'm not keeping up with these things any more.....

Incidentally, the Yiadim apartments in Kolios has a decent little supermarket.

Mentioned in this post
Kolios
Kolios
Skiathos, Greece
devon uk
Level Contributor
48 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling with one year old ...

She will be travelling on our laps, I know schedule airlines allow car seats but i've yet to check the charters. Just a bit concened about what to put her in on the bus to keep her as safe as possible as we cant carry a car seat aound with us all day !? ahhh questions questions. Well from what I hear Kolios is lovely so the majority of our time will be spend there I imagine, I just really want to see the island, perhaps car hire is the way to go.

Thank you so much ilovegreecealot. Any info is invaluable and puts my mind at ease .

Mentioned in this post
Kolios
Kolios
Skiathos, Greece
uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling with one year old ...

I think you'll just have to park her on your lap on the bus. After all, she's old enough to perch on a moped by Greek standards!

I think you'll love Kolios. Nice beach with a beach bar & taverna and Vromolimnos and Aghia Pareskevi in walking distance. It's nice to meander round Skiathos Town in the evenings.

Also, I can recommend getting a boat trip from the harbour in Skiathos Town rather than via your rep - same tour, less money. We've done the round the island trip, and also to Skopelos & Alonissos when we saw dolphins. They're quite big boats and very safe, with an English speaking guide.

Mentioned in this post
Kolios
Kolios
Skiathos, Greece
Vromolimnos
Vromolimnos
Skiathos, Greece
Skiathos Town
Skiathos Town
Skiathos, Greece
Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,379 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling with one year old ...

Viking do not allow car seats, unless you pay extra for the carriage in the hold, and you will have to have baby on your lap. However you will automaticaly be allocated a window and centre seat by Viking on your booking - both ways. No need to reserve or pay any extra fees. The bus does get packed, but usually mum is offered a seat by someone friendly if none are available.

Kids rule here, and take precedence everywhere, tavernas, coffee shops etc

7. Re: travelling with one year old ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 17, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos