We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

Vale of Glamorgan
10 posts
Save Topic
Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

Have heard that wasps can be a problem, I have a partner who seems to get bitten every time she seems to attract them ! We are going in July so is there any particular time of year that they are bad or is it generally bad all the time, every month every year or is it seasonal? Any tips on any sprays etc that have worked well for anyone, we would be very grateful to know !

Many Thanks in advance for your replies

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

Hello and welcome!

Skiathos is known for being full of bees (I don't know about wasps though).

The Summer months are the worst.

IME, sprays don't work for flying insects. The best way to avoid them is to sit near a fan (not a/c). I know this can be done while at the beach (where the suntan lotions attract all kinds of insects) but it might be worth getting a cheap one for while sitting at your balcony.

To tell you the truth, you might have chosen one of the worst islands if your girlfriend has such a problem, but unless you are considering to cancel I would advise you not to tell her anything.

Maybe 2008 will be one of those years when the bees/wasps are less than usual (it happens once in 7 years I think).

Thalia

Vale of Glamorgan
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

Thanks so much for your reply Thalia, I have sent an e mail to you with a couple more questions, many thanks for your help.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

You are very welcome!

I've already replied.

Surrey
Level Contributor
213 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

I am petrified of wasps, so was worried last year on Skiathos. However we found having our evening meal after 8.30pm meant the wasps were 'asleep'. When we were by the pool I burnt a repellant coil, it helped a lot! When we visited Captain Nikos restaurant in Troulos, he burnt Greek coffee to get rid of the wasps and it set the table alight - soon got rid of them!

Vale of Glamorgan
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

Thanks for your reply Polly ! I will remember the one about burning coffee! No wondere they have so many forest fires on Skiathos !

Stafford
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

wasps did seem worse last year than in 2006. Found that Jungle Formula works really well for mossies. My wife usually gets really badly bitten but last yr had 3 bites in 2 weeks

Vale of Glamorgan
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

Thanks Ally , maybe safer than burning coffee!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

Jungle Formula is not for bees and wasps, it's just for mosquitos!

Burning coffee repels all insects but many people cannot stand the smell!

Thalia

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
364 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

I have heard that if Skiathos has a bad year for wasps then the following year isn't as bad! How accurate this is I really don't know but we went a few years in a row and it seemed to follow.

I recall one year was horrendous. People were getting stung by the pool etc, it really was dreadful. I find at lunchtime it's best to stick a beer mat over your drink, have a hat in one hand (can act as a swat!) or a can of "Wasp Away Spray".

I am terrified of wasps so as much as I love going there, I kind of dread that part of it. If you ever ssee someone screaming on the beach - that's me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wasps and Insects on Skiathos

Oh God worried now I have read this post. It's silly but I have a absolute phobia of all creepy Crawlies!!

Any other tips anyone has?

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Skiathos