We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiathos fire

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Skiathos fire

Has anybody been in Skiathos this week? Would like to know the truth about the devastation. as I am travelling there this week and have been there many years now and would be very upset if the Island is in a mess.

Radcliffe, United...
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiathos fire

Hi Sueshe , Have a look on here www.mfbb.net/skiathos/viewtopic.php…

It will give you the most comprehensive news about the fire you can get.

Sale Cheshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiathos fire

My wife and i were evacuated from Aghia Paraskevi at the height of the blaze on Thursday. However we were back in our apartment the same evening and nearly all the tavernas were open as normal. There was very little damage to property but the hills on to the west of Aghia Paraskevi were badly burnt. From Aghia Paraskevi eastwards there is no evidence of the fire at all. We're back there in September and looking forward to it as usual. Have a great holiday.

Derby, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiathos fire

Have just returned from Skiathos, Troulos Bay, literally 1 hour ago!

Island is fine and for saying the fire was doing it's best all day, the fantastic firefighters and anyone else who could, helped in any way to put out the flames.

It was extremley tense all day on Thursday. Obviously there is damage but only to a few buildings which is obvoiusly devastating to the owners but on the scale of it they were very lucky to have no serious outcome apart from a large very blackened section which can be clearly seen from the Dog Santuary hillsides. All the dogs by the way are fine.

w yorkshire
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiathos fire

HI

I was there the day of the fire, and although it has devasted a large proportion of the islands forest, unless you drove deep into the forest you would barley see, obviously, you can see some evidence from the road in Troulos near the Skiathos princess, as that was in direct path of the fire, It's is such a shame. But I can assure you, it wont hinder your holiday in any way at all.. The night the fire happened, it was business as usual, as they rely so much on tourists trade throughout the summer period. Kim West yorkshire

Cornwall
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiathos fire

Hi we have just spent a wonderful week in Skiathos having flown out on the 13th the day after the fires - we had to change villas as ours was affected by the fires but the island has proved its resilience and has shown little effect. Obviously you can see where the land has been burnt out but this did not have any effect on our holiday - a wonderful island and people - will definately go back!

Gravesend, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiathos fire

I was evacuated from the fire and at the time it was pretty scarey, but please dont let this stop you visiting such a beautiful island. Its bad enough that the fire has destroyed so much of their beautiful scenery that if you dont go, whoever started the fire has won, as their livlihood will be affected, and that it was they survive on - tourism.

I was put in emergency accomodation on the night of the fire as we was not allowed back until they were sure that everything was safe, and then when we did go back, we had the fire brigade stationed at our hotel for three days, which gave excellent peace of mind.

UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiathos fire

Hi, just to echo what others have said, returned yesterday (2 weeks in Platanias). We arrived on Friday , day after fire. Did get very close to main appartment area but none affected. You will only notice as you walk along lanes to beach or tavernas as some of the fields alongside are burnt, Will not affect you whatsoever. Also only a relatively small area burnt, we drove around island and hardly noticed. It was interesting to read the comments from people staying on the night of fire, i think if i had been there in my appartment at the time I would have been very scared as it literally stopped just across the road, although from our appartments the burnt area was not visible as it was blocked by trees.

Stayed in Paschelis Appartment - highly recommend.

8. Re: Skiathos fire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Skiathos