We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

Had a bad experience with this company on our recent trip to Alonissos.

We are a generally easy-going couple in our 50s and usually hire a scooter when travelling in the greek islands. As long as the vehicle is 80cc or below, we have done this without problems on at least a dozen islands on the basis of my UK car driver's licence.

Despite making an advance booking with Albedo travel agency in Patitiri, agreeing a 50cc machine (mentioning the UK car licence) and leaving a deposit, the promised scooter was not available on the day with the previous hirer not returning the machine on time. This is understandable, although frustrating and as Albedo travel did not have an alternative vehicle we asked for the return of our deposit. Unfortunately attempts to arrange a hire at short notice with alternative hire companies was not possible.

Returning a couple of hours later to Albedo Travel as they suggested, a suitable machine had now been returned and was available but they were now unwilling to hire it to me on account of my UK car-only licence. The English lady in the Agency seemed to go out of her way to be awkward and the very brief apology despite leaving us hanging around was definitely unconvincing.

One to avoid!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

If you have category P on your licence dated, the should have allowed you to rent it. If they were unsure, they should have preferred to the DVLA site at :

https://www.gov.uk/vehicles-you-can-drive/y

manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

Hi Skiathoslover1.

I wasn't aware of the category P thing, so couldn't really argue the point. Thanks for confirming that.

Not sure it would have made any difference with Albedo. I think the woman in charge at the time just had a mind to be awkward.

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

It is true that in Greece the car driver's license may drive a motorcycle engine 50cc,

Many rental agencies operate flexibly this limitation.

That's why we usually ask for the support of the management of the hotel we stay for information about the island and to rent a bike or car. In this way we ensure their better information and better service or prices. There are many options that we can't on our own to know when we are on a Greek island for the first time.

Anyway Alonissos is a beautiful island with amazing helpful and friendly people.

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

It is true that in Greece the car driver's license may drive a motorcycle engine 50cc,

Many rental agencies operate flexibly this limitation.

That's why we usually ask for the support of the management of the hotel we stay for information about the island and to rent a bike or car. In this way we ensure their better information and better service or prices. There are many options that we can't on our own to know when we are on a Greek island for the first time.

Anyway Alonissos is a beautiful island with amazing helpful and friendly people.

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

The driving licence the prospective hirer has, designates the permission applicable to them. If the company were unsure, they should have refered to the UK DVLA site at :

https://www.gov.uk/vehicles-you-can-drive/y

Sadly, They have lost a hire, and the goodwill of a prospective client ...

Athens Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

Hi SkiathosLover1

I agree, you're right. The classifications for UK are approximately the same as those applicable to the Greek driving licenses. The problem is that there was no proper handling of customer. This resulted in the publication of the comment in the forum.

Richmond,surrey
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

we were in alonissos and found the same problem with this company,chrissie the English lady was not atall helpful and insisted we could not hire a scooter and was trying to get us to go for a quad bike instead at a much higher rent out cost....instead we went around the corner and got our scooter from one of the greek rental places instead for just 10 euros a day with out any problems....so sorry you had all that trouble x

manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

Thanks to everyone for their support and sorry that Cottontailx had a similar experience at the hands of Albedo Travel.

I think the lady in question needs to check the DVLA website, as Skiathoslover1 has already suggested. Like Cottontailx, I just got an uphelpful attitude, fobbing me off that the UK law had changed and I needed CBT training before I could hire any bike. Plain wrong.

Unfortunately and despite walking around all the other bike hire shops in Patitiri, there were no other 50cc scooters available for the day, so we still haven't seen much of Alonissos other than Patitiri and the Chora. Hopefully we will get back there again in a few years time and next time I will be more certain about what my licence allows me to drive.

Still love those islands.

Patitiri, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

ccccccc

Patitiri, Greece
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Alonissos - poor service from Albedo Travel, Patitiri

We’re very sorry you feel you had a bad experience with our office. Our office prides its self that over the 26 years we’ve been operating we have done so within vehicle hire regulations and insurance coverage and stress the safety of our clients.

There are probably other offices that will hire vehicles without the proper documentation but our office will not do that! We hire cars and bikes on the basis of the LEGAL documentation that is presented to us by our clients at the time of hire. Alternative vehicle hire will be offered if it is covered by the license presented (eg. Quad bike). We want to assure that all clients that come to our office will have a good time on the island and not have any unfavorable incidents that may occur.

Get answers to your questions about Alonnisos