We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation

I'm hoping to go to Alonissos next week. I haven't been to greece for many years but when I did I used to just arrive and wander about till I found accommodation.Can you still do this and is it a cheaper option?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,760 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation

It's OK on Alonissos to find accommodation on arrival, I always did in the past, not always cheaper you can equal it by booking but it depends on exactly where and with whom.

Last year I found it was just about the same price doing an accommodation booking with Olympic or Booking.com and with several daily ferries as easy at it gets to arrange.

This time last year 22 € a night on Alonissos with Olympic.

30 € for an initial 1 night on Skiathos with Booking.com and that included transport to the door and aircon, Skiathos town.

Coming back some more nights 31 € which included aircon and transport to the airport.

Finding on arrival you can just about equal those prices.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation

Thanks for the reply.

What's the simplest way to get to Alonissos? Should I book transport from Athens or just make my own way?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation

We flew from Manchester to Skiathos and took the car ferry over and the hydrofoil back. Because of the times coming home we stayed in Skiathos for the final night and walked it to the airport from there!

liverpool
Level Contributor
513 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation

Hi Suelees

We have an Olympic hols package next Sept to Alonissos staying 14 nights in the Gorgona hotel. Really looking forward to Alonissos but are thinking of spending our last night in Skiathos Town to avoid a 6-40am start.

Where did you stay and how did you find the walk to the airport? Thanks Nora x

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,760 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation

drwhat_10

From the UK a direct flight from Manchester or Gatwick, Birmingham etc is by far the easiest. Then there are about 4 daily ferries to Alonissos. The flights are quite pricey because the alternatives are not attractive.

Other ways are via Athens, bus/ferry through Ag. Konstantinos port. There are a few flights from Athens to Skiathos but not many. Syncing that lot is not fun. You can also fly to Thessaloniki bus to Volos and then ferry.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation

Blimey Nora I can't remember where we stayed as my memory is like a sieve these days :) It was 2005 (I only know that because it was when England won the Ashes so my husband knew the date!!).

We found a room in Skiathos harbour area and we just came across it when we disembarked from the ferry the day before the flight home. We weren't really bothered as long as it was clean and accessible.

I was glad we'd made that decision as the following morning we were able to chill and not feel rushed as we wandered about to get breakfast somewhere else. It was much preferable to having to get up early in Alonissos to get the early crossing on departure day.

The walk to the airport was dead easy and as we travel light we had only a wheeled case each. Probably took us half an hour if that but someone on here might be able to clarify it. It was a strange little adventure as we didn't have a clue how long it would take us or what the road would be like!

I really hope you enjoy Alonissos as much as we did.

BTW it made me laugh when Corrie had a recent-ish storyline about that smooth cad Lewis trying to get Audrey's money to help him buy an hotel on Alonissos :)

Edited: 8:10 am, June 16, 2013
liverpool
Level Contributor
513 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodation

Thanks Suelees - sound very doable then and much preferable than the early morning start! We have just returned from Paxos and loved how just making that little more of an effort gets you away from the tourist hoards and rewarded with more traditional islands.I am hoping Alonissos will be just as enjoyable!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accommodation

We must have the same taste in holidays Nora, we were in Paxos last year. Kardamili in Greece in two weeks time. Check that one out too!

Edited: 6:12 am, June 17, 2013
liverpool
Level Contributor
513 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: accommodation

Snap! We stayed in stoupa a few years back - loved our walks from Kardamili. Can also recommend Plakias in Crete...We are off to Kayakoy in Turkey this September but its hard going dragging ourselves away from Greece - just love the place......

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accommodation

We did Stoupa about 15 years ago but didn't even know about Kardamili then even though it's only a hop, skip and a jump away. Not been to Kayakoy yet but it's definitely on the list! I've been looking at Crete for Sept and will certainly check out Plakias so thanks for the info....that is unless we decide to go to Cirali (Antalya area) which is one of the most chilled places we've ever been.