We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

Hello,

I am taking my husband to Skiathos for a couple of weeks in June. We love to snorkel and am interested in finding some spots on Skiathos and Skopelos and Alonissos. We are planning to either day trip or spend some nights on the other islands.

Be great for some info,

thanks

Rach

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

Hey and welcome Rach:-) Since Skopelos beaches are pebbly, think you'll find it a good place for some snorkeling! I've seen lots of folks on the beaches at Panormos and Agnondas snorkeling.. not unusual to see them emerging with starfish.. even baby octopus (which they need to put back in the water;-) Both beaches have rooms availabe right on the beach for an overnighter.. along with some great tavernas;-) Take a look at www.skopelosweb.gr/ for some isle info..places to stay, etc.. for Alonissos, check out www.alonissos.gr/

What you may want to consider doing is taking a ferry to Glossa.. Skopelos' first port of call from Skiathos.. takes about 15 min;-) You can take the bus to the beach village of your choice.. the entire run from Loutraki (the fishing village you'll be disembarking below Glossa) to Skopelos Town takes about an hour running along a predominantely coastal run making stops along the way at the beaches FWIW, Panormos lies about mid-isle and takes about half an hour on the bus:-) You can then ferry over to Alonissos from Skopelos Town.. again it's about a 10-15 run to Patitiri.. overnight (or 2) on the isle..and return to Skiathos from Alonissos:-) Alonissos is also home to the Marine Park.. google for some fascinating info;-) You'll find ferry schedules between the isles at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ as time approaches.. I always find it best to just check them out while there and book on the spot;-) June is a fabulous time.. Happy Planning.. and enJOY!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

Thanks Litsa, some great information in there to digest and research :)

Any one for Skiathos or experienced snorkeling on any fo the islands?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

My pleasure Rach:-) As far as Skiathos, the beaches there, for the most part, are sand.. what most folks like:-) Not as condusive to snorkeling as pebbly/rocky beaches/ises are.. but there are some fabulous rock beaches there as well.. check out Lalaria;-) Keep enJOYin'!

Skiathos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

Further to Litsa's great advice regarding Lalaria, at Asselinos, when the wind is from the south the beach has some interesting rock structures just offshore.

If you have a car then Kechria - again when the wind has changed to the south or late afternoon, when the sea calms down from the North wind.

England
Level Contributor
558 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

Hi Rach

One of my favourite pastimes when in Greece is snorkeling. Last year we visited Skopelos and Alonissos and I enjoyed many a hour snorkeling, the following were some of my favourite spots on Skopelos:

Perivoli Cove – found up in the North East, saw many varieties of fish and a few amazing Fried Egg Jelly Fish.....if you haven't seen these before they are worth getting up close to look at the colours.

Agnontas Cove – nice cove with again many varieties of fish and invertebrates.

Limnonari Cove - saw large shoals of Bass.

I enjoyed these spots on Alonissos;

Gerakas harbour in the far North - my snorkeling highlight was here, seeing up close a single (very large) Barracuda chasing shoals of fish. I must admit that I did get out of the water after seeing it.....just in case LOL.

Chrissi Milia in the West

Steni Vala also in the West.

As Litsa says, most beaches are pebbly which is usually a good place for snorkeling.

Hope this helps

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

that is brilliant thanks very much, added to my file! We have snorkeled in many places and would love to do some in Greece, did take my mask 4 years ago but wasn't very confident then and now am much more adventerous. We have fins to which makes it safer and easier. I have been to Skiathos before but not my husband and we really really want to make this holiday an exploring one, not a sit on a beach all day long!

England
Level Contributor
558 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

Ooops.... I just realised I said both Chrissi Milia and Steni Vala were in the West of Alonissos whereas they are in the East....my grey cells are depleting fast!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

thanks will amend my file!

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

thanks both, any more for snorkeling on Skiathos beaches and what you have seen?

10. Re: Best beaches you have snorkeled in the Sporades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 10, 2014