We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Spetses trip

Which Spetses hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Spetses trip

I've read lots of messages here, so if I've missed an explanation of any that I've asked, sorry for the repeat!

We're planning to go to Spetses 6/24 after having flown in to Athens airport early AM from Thessaloniki. What is the recommended way to get there: slow ferry, fast water transport, trip in car down the coast and water taxi? I'm totally confused on best approach here and costs referenced seem different everywhere I look. Pros/cons for each type of trip (aside from time to travel) from those who know would be wonderful. Also, we could do it differently on the way back. We would like to be in Spetses as long as we can on Sunday, as we'll be returning sometime on Tuesday. R&R and couple time after lots of travel and busyness is the order of this part of the trip.

Any recommendations on where to stay and eat on Spetses? There is not as much written about it, and I've gone to the sites recommended, too, but not much luck in finding accommodations in our budget range this late date. We'd like something that gives us a low key but nicer feel, doesn't have to be a fab hotel, but private, quieter and comfy room for two is key. Think honeymoon accommodations vs. hostel, but swanky is not required. Should I go to a travel agent for all of this part of the trip, as I've made all my own arrangements for the trip up to this point and maybe I'm burned out with only a few weeks left to go! I'm assuming they can help with ferry tickets, too?

Also, we fly home on Wed mid day, and would like recommendations as to where to stay that last night at the end of what we hope will be a fabulous trip.

We will have blown the budget for the first part of the trip, but aren't sure if there is something nice on the coast that isn't too far from airport and not too expensive for our last Greek night! Views of the water or another beach or .....to enjoy our final hours/morning time before heading to the airport.

Thanks so much for any advice. This site has been a godsend for so many trips over the years, and I've never even asked a question before. I hope there are some last minute answers out there for me this time!

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Spetses trip

Spetses is very busy on weekends and there are greater accommodation options during the week. Most of the accommodation is small family run B&Bs most of them called Villa.. something. I wouldn't suggest driving down the coast because that would mean you would have to leave the car for so many days on the Peloponnese wile you are in Spetses. Best way is to take the hydrofoil from Piraeus which you should book a few days before going. Taxi boats are expensive and the price is agreed before you take the trip. The horse carriage is also expensive but is worth doing once from Dapia to the Old port for instance. I'll give you a few names and telephone numbers the country code is 0030 and the area code is 22980

Angela 73919

Kastro 73027

Villa Kriezi (I have stayed there and it is nice) 74086

Pansion Tsakalou 73103

Villa Horizontes 72509

Villa Moraiti 73821

Villa Mimoza 75170

Villa plaza 73427

8 Bros 72054

Sirios 75356

Aithrio - amore 72865

Victoria 72158

Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Spetses trip

Thank you for your reply. I'm in the process of hearing back from some of your recommendations now. We will go ahead and plan on the fast ferry, at least on the way down. Do you think I can wait until the 19th when we first arrive in Athens to make that purchase? There seem to be some web sites that sell the tickets in advance, so I'm curious as to how much more expensive it is to get them now vs. then.

For the rooms, I hadn't thought to ask about breakfast included. Is that normal for the accommodations on the island?

A general question for anyone familiar with the island: If you were choosing among the ones below, which would be your choice for peace, easy movement around the island, atmosphere, etc.

Studio Amore

Kastro

Margarita (has a pool, but not sure how important that is)

Thanks for any comments from anyone about Spetses, including food/drink, beaches, etc.

Athens
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Spetses trip

Sorry for responding so late... I hope I will be of some helo even at this point.

Timothy was 90% accurate in what he wrote.

Of course not all his suggestions are in the same price range, considering the level of services provided.

If all three options are in the same range, then I would pick Kastro. They are all in the center, but I guess Kastro would additionally have this "atmosphere" you are looking for.

I don´t know if Timothy would agree on that.

In any case, any of the three would be a safe choice, I guess.

Spetses indeed is packed on Weekends, and much more enjoyable come Sunday evening. So I am sure that you will enjoy you peace and quiteness during your stay.

If you can ride scooters, my suggestion would be to rent one for the dates you will be psending on the island.

Cars are not allowed anyway, so the only alternatives to scooters are taxis (there are only 4), horse drawn carriages ( which are too expensive to be used regularly, although I too would definatelly suggest the ride from Dapia to the Old harbour) and bicycles. However if you are to tour around the island (bear in mind that we are talking about a timy island) and visit some of the remote beaches a scooter or a 4wheeler (for those not experienced on two wheels) are the ideal means.

Places to dine out: try Dapia for some souvlaki in the Clock Square (specifically the taverna "Fanari" is what I would recommend) and for some delicatessen and a good wine don´t miss "Balkoni" (i.e. balcony).

If you want to have a try of some grilled meat try the "Pachni" (on the road to the monastery of Agii Pantes) and if you are up for some excellent seafood this year´s new entry would be my recommendation "To nero tis agapis" (i.e the water of love). I is in Kounoupitsa.

For gourmet italian food "La Scala" is something you shouldn´t miss for the world, but if you prefer something more on a budget try "Nichthimeron". Definatelly the best spot on the island belongs to the "Orloff" restaurant , although the food does not always live up to the standards of the location. All the above are in the Old Harbour which is by far the most elegant and cosmopolitan place in Spetses.

With respect to your last night in Athens, since you will still be in the "resort" mood try Vouliagmeni area, which is considered the most hip area in Athens (from those in the southern suburbs). The place is literally magnificent. It has the most expensive hotels, but there´s always cheaper solutions.

However I have no persoal experience from any of the hotels.

Maybe you should again rely on this website, which indeed is a life savior!

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Spetses trip

I only have stayed at villa Kriezi, which I liked. I don't know about the others, I just gave a list with the telephone numbers, it is not that I have stayed at each one of them. :0)))

Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Spetses trip

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and updates. I think we have got the basics planned now, but after our trip I may come back with some thoughts, additional questions regarding our experience and what we didn't do for comparisons for next year.

I so appreciate you taking the time to respond.

And I'll be checking this until 6/23, so if you think of anything additional, I'm happy to get advice, feedback. We'll have such limited time there, any comments are welcomed.

London England
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Spetses trip

FYI, the Kastro won't accept single night bookings for August.

portugal
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Spetses trip

Hi - we are doing a trip to spetses next week and as almost all of your questions are relevent to us, I wonder how your trip worked out and if you have any recommendations. Particularly interested in whether or not you would advise advance purchases online of ferry-catamar tickets or is it better just to buy at Piraeus port on the day of travel.?

8. Re: Advice on Spetses trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 08, 2009