We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegina or Hydra

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Aegina or Hydra

Hi All

We're leaving for Greece next week and plan to spend a couple of nights on either Aegina or Hydra. I've poked around for information on both and can't decide. Given the season (we'll be there around March 10) is one a better choice than the other? We're looking for a relaxing couple of days before finishing our trip in Athens, but are definitely interested in sightseeing.

Cheers.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,780 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aegina or Hydra

Aegina will be more busy and more "alive" this time of the year if you are spending some nights there.

You can certainly do a day trip to Agistri near Aegina or Hydra too.

Aegina has a permanent population and it's nearer to Athens. Many of them actually work in Athens, evem of this being a 80 minutes ferry commute. Hydra is much more touirsm oriented and it will a bit more hibernated.

Both are great, Hydra is extremely photogenic too, Aegina though will have a more "lively" feeling.

If total relaxing is what you are looking, Hydra is an option too. But Aegina will provide some more sightseeing.

I 'd use Aegina as a base and perhaps take day trips to Agistri and Hydra.

Edited: 1:49 pm, February 17, 2012
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aegina or Hydra

Hey again p0rcupine:-) It's been a while since I've been to either..but you will find a temple worth visiting at Aegina:-) Hydra is (or was) known more as a poet's..or artist's isle..beautiful pastel colored houses on the waterfront..and no cars! It's further than Aegina which I believe takes barely an hour to get to.. am sure folks will kick in here with hopefully some great info to help in your decision making..it's not easy;-) EnjOY!

Edit: There ya go;-) Some valuable info from our infamous Nick;-))

Edited: 1:52 pm, February 17, 2012
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,549 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aegina or Hydra

Hi,

I prefer Hydra over Aegina but the latter is much easier to get to with more sailings from Piraeus. It is also a better option for sightseeing. The island has an ancient temple which is worth a visit and in the south of the island there is a small village, Perdika which I particularly like. Both places are reachable by bus. Moreover, it may be possible for you to visit the nearby island Agistri.

Edit: Just noticed above posts, enjoy wherever you go.

Edited: 1:56 pm, February 17, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aegina or Hydra

You folks are great. I think we'll go to Aegina but hop over to Hydra, too.

I'm pretty excited about this trip and hope the weather cooperates.

Cheers.

5. Re: Aegina or Hydra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, June 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Saronic Gulf Islands