We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mystra and Sparti

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Mystra and Sparti

Hi all,

I'm looking for self-catering accommodation in Mystra / Sparti (for 2 people) for a couple of weeks this summer 2015. I'd be grateful if anyone has recommendations!

Thanks folks

Althusian

8 replies to this topic
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Mystra and Sparti

You asked a similar question 5 years ago and the advice you got then holds good today. Personally, i'm rather curious to know why you would want to stay for two weeks.

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Mystra and Sparti

Thanks for the replies!

Philhelene, you must have a good memory! I think that time we had a last minute change of plan and went to Areopolis instead.

As for 2 weeks in Mystra/Sparti, since you asked ... I'm a bit of a Frankish castle anorak (http://cog.50webs.com/) and besides Mystra (two days I reckon) there's Geraki and Monemvasia, plus a couple of much less famous sites to check. That's a week gone. I'd like to get down to Neapolis as well (nice Byzantine castle there) but 'er indoors may put her foot down. Anyhow, add a day or two ambling round Sparti and a couple of walks in the Taygetos and I reckon we'll fill two weeks easily! (I last saw Mystra and Monemvasia about thirty years ago, when I was in a hurry)

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Mystra and Sparti

As a base for visiting all those places I'd be inclined to stay in Gytheio, not Sparti. It's central to them all as well as handy for the Mani - if you haven't already been there then don't miss it. It's a non-touristy seaside town with neoclassical architecture and an attractive seafront lined with tavernas. And there are some excellent beaches nearby for when you need to relax a bit (or your other half does).

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,174 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Mystra and Sparti

My memory is shot to pieces Althusian but I make a habit of looking at posters' profiles before replying to a topic!

Which are the less well known sites that you want to look at as I live down here but am struggling to think of any?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,375 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Mystra and Sparti

Hi,

For hiking in Taygetus you could base yourself in Kardamili for a few days. It is on the others side of the mountain range and by the sea. Lots of good walks/hikes in the foothills to experience.

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Mystra and Sparti

Well Philhellene, I'm not aware of any other _major_ castle sites. But (for example) there's a hill marked Kastro near Sochas which (my Sunflower guide says) has some fortifications on it. For all I know it's classical, rather than Frankish, but I'd like to take a look. The problem is that if you look at a list of Frankish castles drawn from medieval sources, there's a lot that are no longer marked on the maps. It's a problem that really needs a bright young thing with lots of travel funding for a PhD or something, but until that happens, dabbling in it keeps me out of the pubs.

(And thanks for the Kardamili suggestion, AjarnAndy. There is a lot of good hiking round there but I'd like to get to the Eastern Taygetos, & I've found a place near Xerokampi)

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Mystra and Sparti

On castles: Manolis Papathanassiou seems to have beaten everyone to a comprehensive site about medieval Greek castles, see his http://www.kastra.eu/ - brilliant bit of work.

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Mystra and Sparti

Rented a small house in Kalyvia Sochas in the end, lovely little village, great place for the well-waymarked (and rather lovely) hikes in the NE Taygetos (house is on Tripadvisor / FlipKey, my review should be up shortly). About 15 minutes south of Sparti.

Edited: 5:15 pm, May 21, 2015
Reply to: Mystra and Sparti
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted