We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus travel in the Peloponnese

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Bus travel in the Peloponnese

We want to go from Pylos (in Messinia) to Monemvasia on the bus. I could drive, but would rather not since I'll be driving alone ( with a child) but without a navigator. Can anyone tell me if you have done this? Is there a way to find out how good the connections are?Not sure what the best way to connect would be - the guy at our house we're renting in Pylos joked that it would take me two days to get there! I know he was exaggerating, but by how much? Anyone?

Belgium
Level Contributor
779 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

I have NOT done this trip by bus. I think it is possible, but indeed it won't be fast.

This is my two cents worth:

there must be a bus from Pylos to Kalamata.

From Kalamata there are frequent buses to Sparti (04:45, 06:00, 07:00, 09:00, 09:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:00, 16:00, 17:00, 19:00, 22:00).

From Sparti there might be a direct bus to Monemvasia, or you might have to change buses on the way (f.e. in Chania or in Gythio).

You may want to check if there is a hydrofoil from Gythio to Monemvasia. It should be easier to get to Gythio by bus. Just an idea.

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

Chinagazer-Thanks SO much for the info and the ideas!

Good thinking about Gythio too! all the best - azoomi.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

azoomi

i would seriously suggest that you get a car

even if you get a little lost people will be helpful and you will explore more and see much more. These are small roads and you can stop and ask people (not like the motorways!) and turn back if you have to

You can always carry things with you

Coordinating 3 buses is not a good idea and pure value for time

You would love Monembasia

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

alternatively you can do this by taxi

ask one of the taxi drivers that speaks english to give you a quoation and leave the driving to him

a day fare may be some thing like 100 Euros (i am only guessing) and can be excellent value for time

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

great idea- I had thought of that but wondered if it might be too expensive...thanks!

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

No ferries of any description to Monemvasia. I got this info from a travel agent there, because I am trying to find the best way to get there as well. I was in Pylos last year and the road to Kalamata is good and would take much less than an hour. The road from Kalamata to Sparti is fantastic through the mountains and past Mystras (don't pass it!). You really can't go wrong as there is only one road. It is good but windy . Once in Sparti, the road to Gythion is good and, again, you can't go wrong. From there to Monemvasia is uncharted territory for me, but it is not that far. I would reckon that the whole trip would be less than four hours driving. I'll let you know - I'm doing it next week! The bus would probably take the 2 days. Good luck.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

No ferries of any description to Monemvasia. I got this info from a travel agent there, because I am trying to find the best way to get there as well. I was in Pylos last year and the road to Kalamata is good and would take much less than an hour. The road from Kalamata to Sparti is fantastic through the mountains and past Mystras (don't pass it!). You really can't go wrong as there is only one road. It is good but windy . Once in Sparti, the road to Gythion is good and, again, you can't go wrong. From there to Monemvasia is uncharted territory for me, but it is not that far. I would reckon that the whole trip would be less than four hours driving. I'll let you know - I'm doing it next week! The bus would probably take the 2 days. Good luck.

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

Pramsrmike...

You are the best...thanks so much! Please post here after your trip if you think of it and let me know! much appreciated.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

all this part of the world is great and of incredible beauty and unseen by the millions of tourists in greece

a little caution is required with driving

but it is extremely rewarding

At monembasia do not miss the restaurant LIMANAKIA on the port run by a nice family. Go in the kitchen and see what is available on the day

Enjoy big time and have fun

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus travel in the Peloponnese

Hi Azoomi. Got back yesterday from the most fantastically beautiful holiday ever in Greece (and I've been going for 20 years). Gythion to Monemvassia would take about 2.5-3 hours, but well worth it when you get there. We went on down the right-hand 'finger' and stayed in a small village called Marathias, about 15 miles north of Neapoli - beaches to die for and no tourism. It was about an hour to Monemvassia from here and about 40 mins from the ferry to Elafonisos with nearly the best beaches I have seen in Greece (the best so far is Voidikhilia, not far from Pylos). However, the best bit was the drive from Gythion to Leonidhio. Absolutely spectacular scenery if you can take your eyes off the road long enough to appreciate it. By the way, I never saw a bus!! Hope this helps.