We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

I too was frustrated not to find the KTEL schedule on line...

So far, all I know is that the 845 or the 871 bus both seem to go from Piraeus to Elefsina. Only problem is, I don't know 1. where they stop in Piraeus; 2. How to get to the stops from the port; 3. How often they run to & from Eleusis; 4. Where they stop in Eleusis in relation to the museum & archaeological site (I'm walking) - I can't even find the Eleusis bus station (if there is one) in google maps!!!

Thanks,

Celia

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

A couple of years ago, I asked my Greek nephew how to get there, and here's the answer I got:

From "Karaiskaki Square" just beside the ferry port, you take the blue bus number 845 (ΠΕΙΡΑΙΑΣ-ΕΛΕΥΣΙΝΑ (ΜΕΣΩ ΘΗΒΩΝ) ). At the end of the route, you change bus and take bus number 862 or 863 or 864 -- any of these. You get off at "Ethnikis Antistaseos" bus stop.

I was told you can also take Bus # 871 ΠΕΙΡΑΙΑΣ-ΕΛΕΥΣΙΝΑ (Μέσω Λ.ΣΧΙΣΤΟΥ)... no details on that, however.

I can't confirm any of this information, as we ended up going by car after I threatened to go by myself on the bus! I can tell you the archeological site is just a few blocks south of the train station (toward the sea)... I did not notice the bus station.

Good luck!

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

Forgot to mention that "Ethnikis Antistaseos" is the large circular plateia in Elefsina. If that's where the bus lets you off, it's several more blocks north and west of the site from the train station.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

You won't find a bus station, these are local buses that stop en route, not A to B coaches.

If Deb's nephew is correct, the bus stop is quite close to the archaeological site. I found this map, it's not so clear, but -- no. 13 is where the site and museum are, you can see Ethinkis Antistaseos Avenue just above no. 17. I'm guessing that's the stop you want. No. 5 is the railway station.

www.elefsina.gr/Images/map/istorika_simia.JPG

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

OK. I found some other info which suggests that the stop is on El. Venizelou street (i.e. before you reach the square that Deb mentions). Looking at Google maps, that's 3 blocks north of the railway station. I'm estimating 20 mins to the archaeological site entrance on Iera Odos? Definitely walkable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

BTW the bus schedules can be found here: www.oasa.gr/index.asp…

Use the "numerical route list" to search for individual schedules for the relevant buses.

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

Thank you both for your wonderful advice and suggestions. I knew the bus numbers from an Elefsina hotel website, but was unsure of the details, i.e. where to get the bus and where it would let me off! I now also have something to contribute for your files, thanks to a friend currently living in Athens. It's the KTEL website

http://www.oasa.gr/index.asp?lang=en

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

I'm sorry, I see you already posted the KTEL website. Thanks so much for your response!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

Just to clarify, that isn't the KTEL website, it's the Athens transport website (OASA).

KTEL is for long-distance coach travel, you will be travelling on a local bus.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

Another option -The proastiakos railway is a comfortable choice from Piraeus, as it's a direct line to Kiato. Getting off at Magoula is probably the most convenient for Elefsina, it's certainly not very far, but you would need a short taxi ride to the site/museum if there isn't a local bus to take you there. From Athens central you would get it from Station Larissis which is accessible with the metro.

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Piraeus to Elefsina Archaeological site?

Hi! I have now been to Elefsina from Piraeus, and here's the scoop.

Both buses go to Elefsina, but the 871 is actually a little quicker - about 1 1/4 hours.

In Piraeus, it's important to take the bus from the terminal, not in the

street in front of the terminal, as it will take you one stop, into the terminal!

The trip took forever - about 1 1/2 hours very, very local, but drops one off in Elefsina a short walk from the site. The bus station is on a street that runs by the water front. If you walk in the direction of the bus (forward) two or three blocks (I think three), and then turn right and walk about 5-10 minutes, you will see if you look left, down one of the cross streets as you pass, an open area behind a fence with a stone wall near the fence, inside the site. It looks archaeological -- and it is! Walk down that block to the site, then right again, around the site to the front end, where the gate is located. Admission is 3 Euro & I highly recommend the guidebook, which costs 8. The museum is within the archaeological site and not to be missed.

If this message just goes to you, can you please post it to this list, from everyone's benefit?

Thanks everyone, for your help.