We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

we are going to visit our relatives in a village in the Peloponnes called karyes (30 min from Sparti). How far is it to nice beaches. Can we drive to Elafonisos for day trips? Parlia Astros? Stoupa?

How are the roads. A few years ago they were terrible. Steep mountainous. awful. Any recommendations

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

Hi saturdaynight

its about 1 1/2 hours from Sparti to Paralia Astros and probably at least that to get to Stoupa. The closest beaches to Sparti would be in the Githeio area, about an hour away. The Dirou Caves are in that area as well, definitely worth a visit.

I've just looked at a map as to where Karyes is located, so its probably only about an hour to Paralia Astros, but an extra 30 minutes to Githeio and Stoupa.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

as aredub says, Paralia Astros is not too far, just take the main Sparti-Tripoli road, and then turn off for Astros {Paralia Astros } around the turn off just before Tripoli. The roads otherwise as you say are mountainous and steep, no way to avoid them.

Other than that, again take the ogod road to Sparti, and then Gytheio for the beaches there. There are about 3 or 4 good beaches to its right, and then around the camping sites slightly south of Gytheio. The beaches around the camping sites are some of the best in the area.

You can certainly go to Monemvassia or Elafonissos, but make it a day trip as they are both further away.

The beach at Oitilo not too far from the Dirou caves is a good long stretch of sandy beach. In view from the beach is Limeni, a sleepy seaside hamlet with a couple of good taverns [such as Takis},

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

Diana

I would go via Agios Petros, to Paralia Astros, rather than back to the Sparti-Tripoli road, but then that is probably my liking for the "off the beaten track" routing. Its may not be quicker but certainly shorter.

I have driven on the road before Agios Petros, but not after it, and its a good sealed road, narrow but easy driving.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

The only problem with going to Elafonissos for a day trip is that if you just miss the ferry, you'll have up to an hour to wait for the next one. Same coming back. I was there last month and the ferry was running on the hour from the mainland and on the half hour on the way back. There is a second ferry which supplements the service in high season.

There are good beaches as Mavrovouni south of Gytheio but in my opinion, the best in the area are Pori Beach north of Monemvassia or, better still, the beach at Plitra on the road to Neapoli just south of Papadianika. The latter is a lovely sand beach with a couple of good tavernas and shallow water great for swimming. Tigani beach just past Elea is also pleasant with a good taverna.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

aredub I've not taken this road from Agio Petros, but I've taken the one to Kosma further down. It's mountainous area, and the road from to Astros from Agios Petros is even minor than the Kosma one, that's why I suggested the main road which is definitely further in kms, but more comfortable for one who ones to avoid minor roads.

canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

thanks for the reply

by any chance do you know the name of the name of the main roat to astros. I cannot do the mountain road...literally petrified. I found the drive from athens to tripoli amazing...but after that oh my...esp at night with no lights. Not many comment on how bad it is...greeks are very used to it, but driving in Namerica vs greece is completely different...thanks for the information

7. Re: question about beaches and roads...staying in Karyes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 13, 2010