We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Athens to Sparta

Glen Head, New York
Level Contributor
818 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Athens to Sparta

Can anyone tell me how I can get by bus or train to Sparta from Athens? Does anyone have a website for bus or train. I went on RailEurope but nothing is listed.

Thanks,

Deb

Athens
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Athens to Sparta

Hi Deb,

There is no train option to visit Sparta in Lakonia perfecture.

The best site I found, relative to your quote is http://www.visitlakonia.com

Unfortunately, the english version is still under construction.

You can access Sparta, either by bus or boat.

You can book a boat ticket online at:

pamediakopes.forth-crs.gr/english/npgres.exe…

You should choose port of Gythio or Monemvasia, where from you could take a bus to Sparta.

I 'm copying you here the bus companies telephone numbers. Unfortunately you can not book online a bus ticket:

Bus Company of Sparta: +30 2731026441

Bus Company of Athens: +30 2105124913

Bus Company of Gythio: +30 2733022228

Athens
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Athens to Sparta

There is no train route to Sparta, that is why you cannot find it.

As for the route by sea......... it is the FIRST TIME i heard someone suggesting going to Sparta BY SEA!!!!!!!

Take a bus from the central bus station at Kifissos ave. It takes about 3.5 hours.

Call the bus company of Athens for ticket reservation.

(KTEL Laconias)

Visit Mystras!!!

West Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Athens to Sparta

Can you tell me whether or not the Global Eurail Pass covers bus transportation in Greece?

Thanks,

Pat

p.s. I am also wishing to go from Athens to Sparta.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Athens to Sparta

As everybody knows the long distance bus company, KTEL, has for TWO YEARS stupidly and stubbornly refused to put bus schedules on its website because "people have used it for commercial purposes". How short-sighted!! THat means people must call from half-way around the world, and then cope with someone who speaks only GReek!

Fortunately, the Matt Barrett site, "athens guide" has posted info about long-distance busses, here's the link:

athensguide.com/practicalinfo/busschedulesA.…

It shows that Sparta busses start at 6 am -- the schedule is not "regular" -- 1 per hour in morning/evening rush-hour, then more widely spaced.

last bus back is 8:15 pm (20:15)

NYC & Sparti, Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Athens to Sparta

you guys need to go here

http://www.apela.gr/2-7.html

it's got the times for sparti-athens

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Athens to Sparta

Apela, this is the THIRD POST TODAY urging people to go to that Apela website. Yet nowhere do you state that -- as far as I can determine -- the site is in Greek only.

Until you can show us how to get an English-language version, I suggest you stop your promotion. THank you!

earth
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Athens to Sparta

travelerjan,

You need to put a hold on the criticism, βλάκας. Firstly, you should learn the at least the Greek alphabet if you are going to travel to Greece; after that, the names are all phonetic and you can just sound them out. Secondly, if you do not want to invest your time in that, there is always Google Translator, which does a very nice job of putting the site into English.

http://www.apela.gr/2-7.html - it's not bad.

But do heed their warning, the schedule will change without notice, so don't plan to be anywhere on time, and just go with it if they send you somewhere entirely different, it will be fun.

γεια σας

8. Re: Transportation from Athens to Sparta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:29 pm, September 26, 2009