We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Logistics problem in Greece

Pensacola, Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
Logistics problem in Greece

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is already answered, but I am having trouble with logistics when it comes to travelling in Greece. I am backpacking through Europe next summer and am finishing my trip in Greece. I'll be travelling to Greece from Naples, Italy and would like to spend time in Athens (few days), Santorini (few days), and Sparta (1 day). My flight to leave to come back to the US is leaving from Athens so it would be helpful if that was my last destination. Ideally, I am trying to cut down on travel time without spending a lot on a flight to Santorini but I may just bite the bullet. What would you all suggest?

Thank you for your time.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Sparta
Sparta
Sparta Municipality, Greece
2 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Logistics problem in Greece

I suppose you are not flying in, rather taking the boat from Bari (Brindisi?) to Patras. It would make sense from there to go to Sparta by car (or public transport), then on to Athens-Pireas to catch a boat-plane to Santorini and then back to Athens for the last part of your trip. It all depends really on how much time you have and how long you wish to stay at each of your destinations.

Edited: 11:43 am, October 12, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Brindisi
Brindisi
Province of Brindisi, Italy
Patras
Patras
Achaea Region, Greece
Sparta
Sparta
Sparta Municipality, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Logistics problem in Greece

The most logical way if you travel by ferry from Italy to Greece is - like @mantziouf explains in the post above - Patras - Sparta - Santorini (via Athens/Piraeus) - Athens.

From Patras to Sparta you can take the bus to Kalamata from where you have a bus to Sparta. To Kalamata takes about 3 hours www.ktelachaias.gr/…

Kalamata to Sparta takes less than an hour www.ktelmessinias.gr/…

Sparta to Athens is about 4 hours https:/…1822-sparti-athina-athina-sparti

From the bus station in Athens you can choose: either the express bus to the airport for a 40 minute flight to Santorini (Aegean/Olympic - Sky Express - Ryanair) or a taxi to Piraeus to take a ferry (Blue Star Ferries - Seajets - Zante Ferries) to Santorini. A ferry takes 4,5 hours to 12 hours, depending on type and route)

Same to come back from Santorini to Athens, flight or ferry.

Edited: 12:03 pm, October 12, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Patras
Patras
Achaea Region, Greece
Sparta