We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

Would anyone have another way to get the bus schedules for Athens to Sparta?

I tried the www.ktel.org website and they have a message posted which reads:

"Dear visitors,

Due to illegal use of the data we provide you free of charge,

by a Company for speculative purposes, we suspend for the moment the operation of our Site.

We apologize for any inconvenience "

I'm sure my cousins who live over there can pdf me the info, but I'm a bit of a control freak and wanted to look up the info myself.

Thanks!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

I hear that this notice has been up for MONTHS... even when it WAS working, it was confusing as heck. Forget it.

Manhattan, you're lucky. (I lived there too, for 30+ years). You can just call up the Greek National Tourist Office in Olympic Towers. Try not to call at crack 'o nine (greeks even in US have trouble getting going until they get their coffee ration), or at noon hour (then they are shorthanded on the phone and get testy). Other times they are very helpful and cordial... if they don't have schedules they can give you estimates.

If it helps, I go to Nafplio and the schedule for that line hasn't changed in YEARS... every hour on the half-hour. GNTO can give you that kind of help. THEN when you get to the station, copy down all the times ... and when you get to your destination station, ditto.

Good luck! BTW, seats are reserved... you have to sit in the one on your ticket... be sure to ask for a window if you want one ... and don't let one of those grannies in black bump you out of them (There's a lot of silent granny agression on busses).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

Thanks, Travelerjan!

I've been to Greece numerous times, my father was born and raised there and his brother and a few of my first cousins are still there so I'm pretty good at the navigating thing.

They did scan the schedules to me but are now insisting on picking me up (phew!!!).

And ha on the "greek time" thing...Sorry to say, but I'm pretty much a part of that...reason why we usually don't get going until noon is because they're up until 3 am chit-chatting and just spending time with family :)

3. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:00 pm, December 26, 2016
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

MikoCanada - Just saw your reply, sorry it took me so long to get back on this forum (busy planning the other parts of my trip to Europe in three weeks!)

My cousin and I will be driving to her dads so I didn't pursue the bus thing any further (from Athens to Sparti). However, I do see someone else posted more recently and the responses are pretty good.

I know it's very easy to take the ferry to Monemvasia (so you can see that first) then there is a bus that leaves from Monemvasia to Sparti, I believe, about five times a day so that's an option. If you look on the ferry websites out of Athens, it's much more user friendly than the KTL website!

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

Hi - I found this page on this Athens guide - take a look - I've no idea if the info's accurate or up to date - maybe others know?

http://www.athensinfoguide.com/busTT.htm

Good luck!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

thanks for that infoguide link to bus schedules... I don't know whether it is up to date, but it does agree with my earlier experience (with busses to Nafplio).

Please note: it works with my Firefox browser but not with my Safari browser. Probably works with Explorer & Netscape.

NYC & Sparti, Greece
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

that site hasn't been working in ages and it's something else now....

here are the times...

http://www.apela.gr/2-7.html

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,322 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

to the last poster --

thanks for that Apela website --- however it is in Greek ... i couldn't find a spot on the screen to click to get it in English. Am I missing something??

Here is the timetable information site I have been using for the Pelopponese(Bus Terminal A)... someone tells me the timetable actually comes from the Grk Nat Tourist Org, so is fairly current:

athensguide.com/practicalinfo/busschedulesA.…

For Bus TErminal B (Delphi, Meteora, Thessaloniki etc) is:

athensguide.com/practicalinfo/busschedulesB.…

let us know if this does not work on your browser...

9. Re: Bus Times - KTEL.ORG website down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:29 pm, September 26, 2009