We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens & Sparta suggestions for couple with college age sons

Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Athens & Sparta suggestions for couple with college age sons

My husband and I will be traveling to Greece for 10 days in late August with our two college age sons. We will on a sailboat cruise for a week and then have 3 nights/4 days to explore. I have been told that Plata is a fun neighborhood in Athens and close to the Acropolis ( should I buy tx before hand and any restaurant reservations recommended?) We especially like Italian. How about nightlife suggestions with enough English to have us understanding what is going on? Any shopping markets worth checking out? I heard that Plata is a funky neighborhood with lots of great restaurants and shops. I am looking at the Electra Metropolis Hotel. Any other suggestions? I know that it will likely be very hot out trekking around. I am thinking of renting a car and driving to Sparta for an overnight at a local hotel and fun area. Any suggestions? My kids love playing basketball if anyone knows if there are indoor or outdoor courts any place that they could access? We won't last with ruins sightseeing for long due to the heat but want to know must sees in Athens and Sparta. Is it a nice drive to Sparta from Athens? Any safe fun neighborhood and hotel suggestion in Sparta too? Any sports events in late August in Athens or Sparta? All suggestions extremely appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Electra Metropolis Hotel
Electra Metropolis Hotel
875 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Sparta
Sparta
Sparta Municipality, Greece
4 replies to this topic
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,309 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens & Sparta suggestions for couple with college age sons

Hi,

I think you mean the Plaka, if so, it is a nice area to stay at in Athens. It has plenty in terms or food and eating out although I don't know what the bar scene is.

If you plan on driving to Sparta you could stop off in Nafplion and visit a few of the nearby sites. Mystras is close to Sparta and should not be missed.

Unable to help with the basketball courts.

Mentioned in this post
Plaka
Plaka
12,782 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Sparta
Sparta
Sparta Municipality, Greece
Mystras
Mystras
743 Reviews
Sparta, Greece
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens & Sparta suggestions for couple with college age sons

What appeals to you about Sparti, a modern town with no special attraction for tourists? The remains of Ancient Sparti are sparse. The nearby Byzantine town of Mystras is wonderful but it is a steep hillside site that takes 3 to 4 hours to explore so it doesn't really match your comment about not lasting long with ruins in the heat.

For an easy and interesting day trip or overnight from Athens I would choose Nafplio, a beautiful and historic town: www.visitnafplio.com

Mentioned in this post
Mystras
Mystras
743 Reviews
Sparta, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
3. Re: Athens & Sparta suggestions for couple with college age sons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, March 29, 2017

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens & Sparta suggestions for couple with college age sons

What poster #2 said. Either Nafplio or any of the Saronic islands (Aegina, Spetses, Hydra, Poros). Beaches, beach bars, night bars, great food, around-the-corner outdoor courts to shoot hoops with same age local youth. Us Greeks love basketball. Happy days. Absolutely no reason to go to Sparta.

Edited: 1:25 pm, March 29, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Nafplio
Nafplio
Argolis Region, Greece
Aegina
Aegina
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
Spetses
Spetses
Saronic Gulf Islands, Greece
Hydra