We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Patras to Athens Airport

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Patras to Athens Airport

Hello

I need to travel from Patras to Athens airport on Easter Monday and will have about 3 hours to do the journey from the time that my ferry docks to the time that I need to check in at the airport. I don't think that catching a bus is an option as I think I'd get into Athens too late. I believe that there's a train that goes to the airport but I suspect that it would take a while to get there.

I have found a taxi service at Euro 250 - quite steep for a single traveller. I'm considering hiring a car. I believe that the highway is good (and the drivers are terrible). I hope that the signposts are good otherwise I'll take a GPS option if possible.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions. I believe that there is an airport in Patras but I don't think that there are flghts to Athens.

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Patras to Athens Airport

The highway between Patras and Corinth is AWFUL and it will be jam packed like you've never seen on Easter Monday. You will end up stationary for long lengths of time around toll posts - last time we drove this route on Easter Monday we were stuck for so long that people got out of their cars and had mini picnics.

If you're not travelling VERY early in the morning, I urge you to make alternative plans, or be prepared to miss your flight.

Whatever you do, don't drive. Pay the money and let someone else worry about getting you there (if they think they can do it). Good luck.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Patras to Athens Airport

With only 3 hrs AND a holiday I don't rate your chances of getting there on time. Where are you flying to? Can you get a later flight or earlier ferry?

If you chose to drive (I DON'T recommend it) you wouldn't need a GPS, the route is straightforward enough, but an awful road as Tinsey said.

Edited: 1:55 pm, March 09, 2011
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Patras to Athens Airport

Many thanks for your feedback, I've put my thinking cap on an have come up with what should be a safer option... Much appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Patras to Athens Airport

Is it possible to catch a train from Patras to Athens airport? If so does anyone know where I find information.

Thanks

Jillanne

5. Re: Travel from Patras to Athens Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 25, 2013