We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

Which Olympia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

We booked a car rental from Avis in Katakolon for a shore excursion to Olympia; we also considered making a stop at the Mercouri Winery. However, I read the following article on one of the sites and am concerned that we may have a problem parking. I don't know when this article was published. Can you tell me if parking will be a problem?We are arriving in June.

"If you are considering the DIY driving route take into account the complete chaos that is called parking in Olympia. They have recently closed the main road to thru traffic meaning that you will need to park at the far end of town (while battling through the waiting busses and taxis parked all along the main road) and then walk the entire length of Olympia to get to the site. It is not that far, say 15-20 minutes normal walking, but the summer heat and the bus and taxi fumes can make that seem like a pretty long 15 minutes."

8 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

Hi there, I'm considering renting a car for a visit in November. Mind reporting back about your experience?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

Renting the car at Avis was easy. But we decided not to go to Olympia, instead we went to Mercouri and to a lovely hotel that let us use their beach facilities. We were going to Ephesus on our trip and wanted some down time.

Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

Hello, I was there in October, rented a car from Avis as well. No problem driving to Olympia or parking there. The parking is just a couple of minutes walk from the site+museum. We got there early and we found plenty of empty spaces to park the car. The route to Olympia is straightforward and we got plenty of information plus a very detailed map from Avis' people.

Brooklyn baby
Level Contributor
251 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

did you prebook your vehicle or on the day of?

Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

We pre-booked it from their local website (www.katakolo-rentacar.com) and they gave us detailed information via e-mail (prompt helpful replies) plus a map and all the info we needed when we got there.

California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

After reading nancybtru comments about Avis in Katakolon, we decided to book a car with them as well. We were very happy with our choise, we had a new car, much cheaper than a cab and the drive was easy. finding parking was not a problem as well. after Olympia we visited the winery which was great.

7. Re: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, July 22, 2016

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia

i am planning to visit in June with carnival Cruice .Any suggestions?

Reply to: Renting a car from Katakolon to Olympia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted