We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water safe to drink?

Which Olympia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
557 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Tap water safe to drink?

We only drink water (no not even sodas!) so we like to refill our own water bottles we travel with. Just wondering if the water here is safe to drink?

1. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:52 pm, October 12, 2011
Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,412 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

Drinking water is safe in the larger cities. However, in remote areas and on the islands it may be a good idea to drink bottled water. Ask around once you start travelling.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,108 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

Greece is not a third-world country. The tap water is safe everywhere. What do you think the Greeks drink?

Greece
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

When I was living in a small town near Olympia I was advised by Greek friends not to drink the tap water. When I visited Athens there was no problem with filling a bottle straight from the tap.

Judging by the number of packs of bottled water that people used to buy in the supermarkets of Pyrgos (population 50,000, near Olympia) a significant number of locals didn't trust their supply. If you are worried then just do likewise - 6x1.5L of bottled water should cost you no more than a few euro.

Chris

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,412 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

I have spent a number of years teaching in Greece and I don't recollect getting sick from the water.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

Hi, The problem is not the water, it is that some people have a reaction to the different minerals in the supply. The water is completely safe. the advice is to have small amounts for a few days until the system is used to it, Bottled water has low mineral content so is no problem. Don't worry just don't drink 5L on the first day if you are not sure of your reaction. Which is just like taking the Bath spa waters in the UK, it just purges the system for a few hours. Once you are used to it no problem.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,249 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

There is nothing wrong with the tap water in Greece generally, but the mineral content will be different from your home country & it is this factor which tends to upset some people. I find tap water there no problem, but here in UK I live in a area that has very soft water whereas in other parts (east & south) it is very hard & I find that unpalatable although it does not cause me an upset tummy.

Even if you buy bottled water in Greece bear in mind it will again have different minerals from the one you buy back home. It is a matter of taste really - perhaps the locals in some places do not like the taste of their local mains water. The water might be fine, but if the pipes of the plumbing system are furred or corroded then the tap water may not taste too good. We still have a lot of old lead pipes here in UK - I work in a building with them & always run the tap for a few minutes in the morning before filling the kettle to clear any taint that has accumulated overnight.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

I don't like to preach (but I'm going to). Plastic bottles are an environmental menace. In Greece they litter the roadsides, beaches and countryside. Even if disposed of responsibly, there are as yet hardly any facilities in Greece for collecting and recycling plastic so they simply go into landfill sites where they will never decay. And the energy required to manufacture and transport these bottles to market uses fossil fuels which are damaging to the environment. We've been travelling to Greece for 25 years, have always drunk the tap water and have never suffered any ill effects.

9. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 13, 2011
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls
Level Contributor
557 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tap water safe to drink?

Appreciate everyone's input, although didn't mean to imply Greece was a third world country! (I really do know that it's not)

2brisolians-I totally agree and we try to do our part keeping bottled water use to a minimum. We also have seen way too many unnecessary empty water bottles litter beautiful countries, (as well as my own) and really try to encourage family & friends to reuse personal water bottles when possible. I just always like to make sure there are no health risks with local drinking water!