We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

Arriving on cruise ship to Katakolo.

We have from 7 am to 2 pm.

Interested in trying the new train to Olympia. Does anyone have directions to the train station from Katakolo to Olympia? All advice and direction is very much appreciated.

I also understand there is a bus to Olympia but I am concerned about timeline and getting confused if a transfer is required. I don't read Greek....

Thank you very much,

Gwynn family

taliimogen
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

Hi Gwynn Family,

I just read your post. I'm stopping with my family in Katakolon in a couple weeks and are also trying to bypass the cruise directed excursions.

Were you able to get through Katakolon to get to Olympia? Which route did you end up taking?

Any help / advice would be great!

Thanks

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

Yes - no problems, in fact it is soooo easy. When you disembark from the cruise ship, head right and onto the main street. Continue down to the end of town, you will a little park, go right, and you will see a very small yellow train station. You buy your ticket on the train, there is no ticket agent. And be prepared to buy a round trip ticket at 3 Euro. (Yes, round trip, 3 Euro) The other nice part is that the train starts in Katakolo and the end destination is Olympia, you do not have to change trains. When you reach Olympia, just get off the train, go about 2 blocks straight ahead to the main street where all the shops are, and then take a left and go about 5 blocks, you will reach Olympia, walk is less than 5 minutes. I would recommend getting one of the Athens past/present books so you can see what the ruins looked like. Have fun!! I can send you a photo of the train and train stop if that will help.... let me know.

australia
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

There is a train station about 3 minutes walk from the port. The tickets are 3 euro return (3 euro!). Our cruise ship told us there was no public transport. The train was great. Just walk along the dock, turn right and go past all the taxi drivers. You buy your ticket on the train. The train stops in the town at Olympia and is only a couple of minutes walk to the site (just follow the tourists). Check out the timetable at the train station for when the train is returning, I usually take a photo of it on my phone. If somehow you missed the last train back before your cruise left I'm sure it would be really easy to get a taxi back (there are only about 100 hanging around!) At Katakolo we had a swim at the beach and had a lunch at one of the seafood places. The water was really nice. Also, because the boat will be so close you can probably go back and pick up your towel and bathers, literally only a 5 minute walk.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

Anyone have the latest timetable?

My cruise ship docks at noon, leaving at 6, and it looks like the only train service gave just two hours total for visiting Olympia according to the schedules posted earlier on this forum. (Arriving Olympia just before 2 and departing just before 4.)

You morning guys are so lucky!

Cordially,

Pam

taliimogen
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. In the end my family decided not to take the train and contacted a cab driver (http://www.taxikatakolon.gr/).

He was awesome and really did his best to get us around to all the sites around Olympia.

It actually worked out really well, as our boat didn't dock. We had to wait to be ferried in and wasted about 2 hours waiting to get to land. We would have completely missed the trains and would never have gotten to see the ruins, museum, etc.

Thanks again for the advice.

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

To get the train timeline from Katakolo to Olympia go to this web site

olympia-greece.org/katakolon-train-bus.html

Look for the section: From Katakolon Port to Olympia

Katakolon- Purgos - Olympia

Train line. Ε 1382 departure 08.25 arrive 09.06

Train line 1386 departure 10.55 arrive 11.41

Train line 1388 departure 12.52 arrive 13.44

Train line 1390 departure 14.51 arrive 15.38

Olympia - Purgos - Katakolon

Train line Ε 1387 departure 11.46 arrive 12.28

Train line 1389 departure 13.48 arrive 14.32

Train line 1391 departure 15.43 arrive 16.32

7. Re: Katakolo to Olympia via Train - Directions to Train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 06, 2009