We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reforesting Olympia site

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Reforesting Olympia site

As "Ta Nea" newspaper writes today:

. . .20 years plus 30,000 trees and bushes, will be needed, in initial stages, to "repair" severely damaged landscape after the devastating fires in the area last August.

These thousands plants will partially replenish burnt trees and bushes, at a rate of 1/3, in a total area sizing 255,000 sq.m., or 70 acres.

Interventions on natural image of the landscape will be big. Instead of pine trees which were dominating the landscape for centuries, alternative trees will be used. Majority of them will be able to easily self heal after any probable future fire. Final aim is to reconstitute the ancient oak tree forest that dominated the area during 7th century B.C.

26 different species will be used, among them oaks, acorn trees, cypresses, olive trees, arbutuses, osiers, myrtles, bays, wild rose bushes to cover the area.

A special project will be evolving on Cronus Hill, where substantial part of the ritual for Olympic Flame lighting occurs. Special planting techniques will be used, after a radiography scanning of the whole Hill by air, since the whole area has never been searched for ancient underground ruins.

Any "incompatible" with natural species trees or plants had been planted over the last decades, like eucalyptuses and rose bushes, will be replaced with local species, like plane trees and wild roses.

A dilemma between designers and archaeologists existed, regarding the use of 170, over a century old, grown up olive trees that will be transfered from Crete island to be replanted to the area. It was considered "incompatible" for the symbol of Olympic Games ( an olive tree branch garland ) to finally originate by olive trees of another area, Crete. Local olive trees at Olympia area, some of them even 3 to 5 centuries old, reached total extinction during recent fires. Nevertheless, an Ancient Greek Myth, speaking about the first olive tree planted in the Olympia area back in 16th century B.C. originating from Crete itself, gave a "solution" to the dilemma.

Rest of the trees to be used will be from the area. Among them, 4,200 cypresses with heights between just 2 feet and 10 feet. . .

My comment:

Imagine that some of the olive trees burnt, existed there for centuries, even before Greece Independence War at 1821, or even before USA Declaration of Independence at 1776. Healthy olive trees live for a couple of centuries, easily reaching 250 years of life. Many live more than 5 centuries or even more!

www.tree-pictures.com/olive_tree_photos.html

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reforesting Olympia site

hi nick! is this project beginning soon...hard to imagine the site without those big trees. Have seen so many sad pictures of the burned out areas.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reforesting Olympia site

I guess immediately, there is very limited time left to do these works.

Perfect period to replant trees in Greece is from end of October to end of November.

A "myth" says: whatever you plant on St Catherine's Day, at Nov 25th, will have 100% success :)

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reforesting Olympia site

That is my birthday!!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reforesting Olympia site

100% success too :)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reforesting Olympia site

Thanks for the information, nick. As always. Very interesting.

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
549 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reforesting Olympia site

Sound like they've got their act together, thank goodness.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
307 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reforesting Olympia site

Just been reading Carol Drinkwater's book about the history of the olive trees in the Med, although I am not a fan of her writing the ages of the trees she discovers amazed me, I think 2000 years was mentioned! The route by which the trees travelled is one that will always be a topic of debate...like my favourite, which came first, pasta or noodles! You may enjoy the book Nick. caroldrinkwater.com/pages/books/the_olive_ro…

8. Re: Reforesting Olympia site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, September 11, 2009