We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancient sites

London, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ancient sites

We have a fairly comprehensive 10 day schedule in the Peloponnese in July including many sights, walks, and swimming for the kids. We do want to incorporate 2 or possibly 3 ancient sites too. I'd like to know in which to visit order of Importance....Epidavros, Korinthos, Mycenae & Olympia. If there's another which should be in the top 2 or 3, it too can be included. Many thanks. Barry L.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,894 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ancient sites

Hi,

If you base yourself in Nafplion it doesn't really matter which order you visit the places you mention. Anyway, on the way to/from Olympia I suggest you go via Megalopolis and Krestena stopping off at Bassae Temple on the way, it is close to Andritsena. If you leave Athens for the Peloponnese am stop off in Corinth on the way.

Brooktondale
Level Contributor
154 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ancient sites

My favorite by far was Mystras. If you want to see it well it will take you at least a half day but of course you can pass thru as quickly as you want. Note that it's on a rather steep hillside but the walkways are well kept and you can drive from the lower section to the middle area..It's really not that difficult walking. Mycenae was next.partly because of it's setting. I was not that impressed with Epidavros maybe because I've seen a lot of the ancient theatres. The acoustics were pretty incredible tho. Corinth was good as was nearby Nemea which has a remarkable museum attached. I didn't make it to Olympia but heard it is pretty good. These were my impressions. Yous and others may very well be different. I think you'll enjoy anywhere you go.

'

Edited: 6:24 pm, April 14, 2014
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ancient sites

Depends where you're staying , if in the Southern Peloponnese ; there's the very interesting Ancient Messini, the Venetian castles at Koroni, Pylos and Methoni and as mentioned Mystras , which is probably easier to reach from the south.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ancient sites

Mystras is brilliant - & probably quite exciting for kids to explore, especially if you make sure to go right up to the Kastro & play "King of the Castle"! Agree that Koroni & Methoni also worth a look - should get the kids imaginations on overtime!

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ancient sites

My trip in June will be Kalavrita for the railway, Napflio for Epidavros, Mycanae and Tyrins, hopefully a day trip to Spetses to complete a brief history of Greek independence, then Mystras, finally Olympia. That's my highlights fitted into a one week trip - some are new, some like Mystras and Kalavrita are old favourites.

Edited: 9:41 am, April 15, 2014
St.Ives
Level Contributor
240 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ancient sites

Bassae

was remarkable but we found it with difficulty. It was under a tent of course but in good condition. Mystras is lovely

, Mycenae very memorable .

Edited: 3:20 pm, May 13, 2014
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,372 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ancient sites

Ancient Messini

http://tinyurl.com/yjelo9c

Methoni

http://tinyurl.com/yhnm3xm

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ancient sites

Having just been, I think you will have a better time if you leave out the long trip to Olympia. Not as impressed as with your other choices.......for us best was Akro Corinth. Talk about playing castles! Of course your other choices are good too. The cog train at Kalavryta is a highlight worth considering too.

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ancient sites

Olympia is a longish drive, and depending on your route possibly very scenic (ie twisty mountain roads), but I thought it a wonderful site. There is a lot to it and the museum is nice as well. Unfortunately the town is not much, it's clearly set up on the principle that people are just passing through and just once in their lifetime. However, If you'd like to visit, but not drive both ways in the same day, I stayed at the Park Hotel and liked it and the owner was very helpful. Also - bring a map - don't trust GPS for finding the town.

Vassae I found without much trouble. it's an ok stop between Olympia and Nafplio if you aren't trying to drive both ways and see Olympia all on the same day.

Epidaurus is much more than the theater! If you visit Epidaurus also take a stroll through the healing complex ruins. There is signage so you will know where you are.

Mycenae is so famous, though note that there are several sites of the same culture in the area. It's exciting to see the Lion Gate. Interesting to see the round-domed tomb. Didn't see much else when I was there.

Corinth is another large and complex site. When I was there I kept bumping into a tour group that was apparently interested in the site from the Christian history perspective, and less interested than I was in the exihibit of ancient healing charms in the site museum. It is an easy, convenient stop on the drive between Athens and Nafpliio.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,372 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ancient sites

Mycaene

http://tinyurl.com/ceajeh

Corinth

http://tinyurl.com/ckn77h