We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week trip tp Peloponnese in April 2014

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
Save Topic
One week trip tp Peloponnese in April 2014

I am planning a trip on April 16-23 which I would like to cover quite a lot of sites. I am not sure if this is doable and am I focusing on the right attractions. Main concernis sunset at this time of year. We are a mature couple with a car

Day 1: Athenes airport (leave around 11am) - Nafplion. I would like to visit Mikines on the way and potentially anciant Corinth. I am booked at Nafploin for 2 nights.

Day 2: From Nafplion to Epidavros. continue to Mehtana and Poros and back to Naf. Will I have time for an afternoon visit to the Castle?

Day 3: Naf. to Mystras. I have a hotel there. Is it worthwhile and doable to drive along the coast and head up to Sparti? I want to visit Mystras that day in the afternoon.

Day 4: Mystras to Monemvasia for a quick tour and lunch and continue to Githio for dinner and hotel. Is this reasonable?

Day 5: Githio to Areopoli and the caves. Night along the road to Kadamili. Any attraction with a taste of Mani I can add for this day (not too much driving)?

Day 6: I need to be back in Athens in the evening. What would be best (Kardamili area and coast or Olimpia)?

Are many things open in that time of a year? We were worned a lot will be closed

Thanks

Noam

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One week trip tp Peloponnese in April 2014

It will be useful to know that Eastern Orthodox Easter is on April 20 next year. This is good for you because more places will be open than usual at this time of the year and you might be interested in the celebrations, but at the same time you should consider this when deciding on the need of booking accommodations...

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One week trip tp Peloponnese in April 2014

Thank you very much for the insight. As my booking accommodation is already set, is there a preferred place to visit on the 29th?

I am expected to be around Kardamili during that day?

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week trip tp Peloponnese in April 2014

Day 1: Athenes airport (leave around 11am) - Nafplion. I would like to visit Mikines on the way and potentially anciant Corinth. I am booked at Nafploin for 2 nights.

Not sure about how long the sights will be open that time of the year, but maybe only until around 4 p.m. You'll be at Corinth around 12. The drive from Corinth to Mikines 45 min more. If you want to see the sights, not just run through them to cross them off your to see-list you can only visit one of them.

Day 2: From Nafplion to Epidavros. continue to Mehtana and Poros and back to Naf. Will I have time for an afternoon visit to the Castle?

No.

This trip takes a whole day, at best. You are cramming to much in to your itinerary, and you will not have time to enjoy the sights/sites at all, just running around to see them in a flash. There is also hardly any time to see Nafplio, the most beautiful town in Peloponnese ( http://www.visitnafplio.com ).

If I can give a last advice: Less is more! Concentrate on the things you REALLY want to see, enjoy them to the fullest, and forget the rest!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week trip tp Peloponnese in April 2014

Day 3. Same potential problem with site opening times. If you take the coastal route from Nafplio to Sparti via Leonidio, it will take you the best part of three hours. Mystras needs a good 3 hours of your time so unless you make a very early start, you might not see it. You could chop an hour off driving time by heading through Myli and taking the road over towards Triploli and joining the road to Sparti at Kerasitsa.

Days 4 and 5 are OK but I doubt the Diros Caves will open on Easter Sunday although I may be wrong.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,893 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week trip tp Peloponnese in April 2014

Day 5, the drive from Areopoli up to Kardamyli is lovely. Take your time and explore the ancient villages you pass through with their Byzantine churches. You will find it slow driving as the road is narrow and twisting, especially the many hairpin bends that take you around the Bay of Itylo (with fabulous views). Areopolis itself looks unappealing from the main road but if you enter the village, park and walk to the old part it is historic and interesting. Of course Easter Sunday is mainly a day to celebrate with families at home, so you will find many places closed.

6. Re: One week trip tp Peloponnese in April 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese