We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Mani Peninsula

Manchster
5 posts
Save Topic
The Mani Peninsula

Anyone out there been to the Mani Peninsula region? We are visiting Kardamyli for a week in June and normally we hire a car when visiting Greece. I just wondered is it worth it in this region or are the local buses frequent enough and visit enough of the places to visit?

Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Mani Peninsula

Stayed in Stoupa two years ago. Lovely beach

Local bus along coast. Alo stayed in Ag Nik. Used bus and cycled into Stoupa.

What are you looking for? prob need car for mountain villages.

We took bus to Kardamyli from stoupa, only short journey.

Please ask for info if I can help.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Mani Peninsula

Hi Sandy

The local bus is useful for getting around between Ag Nik, Stoupa & Kardymilli and helps facilitate a number of walks into the hinterland where you will find stunning gorges & interesting villages. For longer trips the bus is a bit too infrequent and you will really need a car. The good news is the roads are quiet (except near Sparta which is on the way to Mystras). I would recommend what we did re trips

Mystras (car or trip but car more flexible) - do the full loop out by Gythion and back by Kalamata but allow lots of time at Mystras as it is huge

Inner Mani - lots of tower houses down at the southern end of the peninsula - Vathi is a pretty special village but some of the others are too - just drive round and stop off at any you like the look of. Again car would be best but a friend recommended 'Bob's Mani' coach trip which has an informative guide

Monemevasia - coach probably best for this as it is a long drive an possibly not quite as interesting - the trip we went on was good as it stopped at different places Areopolis (I think!) on the way and Gythion (definitely!) on the way back. Monemvsia is stunning but the lower town is touristy. Still unmissable though!

For walking get Lance Chilton's book which has a useful map which you can use to explore by road too for a shorter day out - some lovely villages lie in wait.

I'm sure you will enjoy the area - it really is stunning and one of our favourites so far!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Mani Peninsula

I would say having a car in the Mani opens the possibilities up even more. It is a wonderful place to get lost. Have fun!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Mani Peninsula

The flexibility of a car simply allows you to get the most out of a trip through this area.

We made this trip a few years ago in a rental car and loved it.

Here are our pictures of the Mani.

travel.webshots.com/album/551988658NSgKQY

If you go a little further east you will find Mystras and Monemvassia which are also very interesting locations to visit.

Here are our pictures of these two locations as well.

Monemvasia

travel.webshots.com/album/551987765EoLDkO

Mystras

travel.webshots.com/album/551988174qxbTNw

Kent
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Mani Peninsula

Mystras is on a very steep hill with car parks at the bottom and the top so whichever one you use, you either have to climb up and down again or the other way round. It is very well worth a visit but we decided to take a coach tour. Glad we did as the the coach dropped us off at the top, we clambered down to the bottom where it picked us up again. I don't think I would have made it in one day otherwise.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Mani Peninsula

You can get to Kalamata & back in one day to the north by bus & as far as Aeropoli, via Itilo to the south.

There are two excellent Topo 25, highly detailed hiking maps of the area sold in the local shops. 5.5 euros each.One covers Kardamili - Stoupa, The other Aghios Nilolaos -Trachila. 1:25.000. They are well worth the money.

www.mountains.gr

7. Re: The Mani Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:26 am, October 22, 2009