We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

we have two free days in September (part of a 3 week trip around Greece), and i'm hoping someone here can recommend a charming stopover or town in north or central Peloponnese? a mountain village, or perhaps somehwhere not in the guidebooks? we've got plenty of beach time already...

thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
363 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

Check in Kalavryta or the off the beaten path destination Zarouhla in Lake Tsivlou in Achaia and Dimitsana in Arcadia.

Some accomodation suggestions include:

www.epohes.gr

www.aroania-hotel.gr

www.dryades-arcadia.gr

www.ostra.gr

http://www.hotelhelmos.gr/en/index.jsp

www.hellascountryclub.gr/hellenikon.asp

If you have some extra time and a car, I suggest that you drive to Zagorohoria in Eperus, a beautiful unspoilt mountain area of Greece.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

We stayed one night in Dimitsana in early June and it's a beautiful area. Would suggest the Guesthouse Kazakou - nothing fancy, but very comfy. The hospitality was incredible, as was the breakfast. I stopped counting at 5 courses (yougurt+honey, huge omelettes for each of us, homemade fried pastries, fresh fruit, ++++ that was all one meal!) There was 3 of use and I think we paid 90E for the room with bath and breakfast. It was certainly the best deal we had our entire trip. Enjoy, I'm having Greece withdrawal right now :((

BB

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

Coile

I would suggest Kalavryta. It is a ski resort so is very quiet during the summer months. We have visited in September and would recommend it as a place to visit although at that time of year the evenings can be a bit cool. When we have visited we have turned up and managed ot book a hotel room with no problem.

A trip on the train is a must. It is a narrow gauge railway which travels through spectacular gorges down to the coast in Diakoft (get the return train as Diakoft doesn't have much to offer). If you do get the train ask for a 1st class ticket, this means you are up front with the driver and the views are amazing. Last time I did the trip I was taking photos on the journey back up to Kalavrita and the driver stopped the train to point out a great photo opportunity. Also if you drive out down to the plains (can't remember the name of the area) you could see Eagles and/or Kestrels.

Close by to Kalavryta there is the Monastery of Mega Spelaion which is also worth a vist.

Where ever you go I hope you enjoy your stay.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

I'm not sure that the train is running at present. Maybe other posters can confirm.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

The train will not be running for another couple of years unfortunately, but if you are a trekking fan, you can trek down the gorge of Vouraikos along the tracks. Another beautiful village to stay at is Stemnitsa. Vitina is also very nice and Lagadia too.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

thanks again for all your great suggestions! i keep telling myself not to worry too much about each & every destination... it will all be wonderful, i'm sure!

Geneva
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

Hi! I agree with all who have already suggested the region of mountainous Achaia (Kalavryta) and Arcadia (Vytina, Dimitsana etc).

Here is some more info about Arcadia:

Mountainous Arcadia is in the center of the Peloponnese, easily reached from Athens (only a 2-hour-drive, approx.190 km). There are picturesque villages and many beautiful small hotels and traditional mansions. In September it is not likely to have many visitors - the place is mostly visited during winter, mainly by Athenians for the weekend. I would rather prefer a hotel near (or in) the forest of Menalo, e.g. in Vytina (1033 m) or Alonistena (1200 m) so you will not have to take your car for a walk in the forest... Stemnitsa, Dimitsana, Lagadia surely worth visiting. Alonistena is more peaceful and closer to the forest, while Vytina is more crowded and touristic.

I think you shouldn't miss the Open-Air Water Power Museum of Dimitsana (check for openning hours):

http://www.greece-museums.com/museum/47/

Moreover, Loussios gorge is splendid! Ideal place for rafting, trekking...

Have a nice vacation!

8. Re: 2 extra days in northcentral Peloponnese.... suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese