We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mani

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
160 reviews
Mani

Hi there!

I am going to travel across Peloponnese and spend time also in Mani. Already booked accommodation at Marmari, I would like to add another "base" for a couple of nights and I am quite undecided between Neo Itilo (which is close to Limeni, but with more reasonable prices) and Agios Nikolaos (close to Stoupa). Which one would you recommend? Or maybe do you have more suggestions?

I like quiet places, out of the crowd. The perfect would be a pleasant coast village (or also isolated place) with view.

Thank you so much!

8 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Mani

What time of year? Agios Nikolaos can get busy in the evenings during the summer months as it is a popular trip from very crowded Stoupa; but it is very pretty and not yet spoiled despite its increasing popularity.

Neo Itylo is cheaper than Limeni because it is not as attractive or charming.

Gerolimenas would be a good choice but it is quite near Marmari - by the way Marmari is not a village, there is nothing there except a hotel and it’s a bit bleak for my taste.

My other choice would be Areopolis, a small historic market town with excellent local shops and tavernas. However it doesn’t have a beach.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
160 reviews
2. Re: Mani

Hi, thank you so much!

It would be at the end of August.

btw I made a mistake, I have booked at Porto Kagio, not Marmari (still close by).

My first best would be Trachila (south of Agios Nikolaos) which looks as the perfect stay for me, or Chotasia, but unfortunately I can not find any kind of accommodation over there, maybe there are any :-((

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
733 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Mani

Not sure if there's a place to stay there, but I like Flomochori. Traditional, with views, and a two km walk to the pebble beach at Chalikia Vata.

Markopoulo
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
156 reviews
4. Re: Mani

>Neo Itilo (which is close to Limeni, but with more reasonable prices) and Agios Nikolaos (close to Stoupa)<

I have already stayed at Neo Oitylo and I very much liked it. It is not as beautiful as Gerolimenas or Limeni, but it has a Mini Market, a couple of good fish tavernas and a beach. I assume you will have a car. If so, Limeni and Aeropoli are a few minutes away. Agios Nikolaos is different than Neo Oitylo as it is still on the Messenia part of the Mani and so the nature around is very different (a lot of vegetation, not the classic arid landscape). While at Porto Kagio, don't forget to visit Capo Tainaro and Vatheia.

*(it.) Se hai altre domande, le puoi anche fare al forum italiano oppure mandarmi un MP (it. off)*

@Malianna

Flomochori is a very particular village as it is the only village of the Laconian Mani where modern housing was allowed (nobody knows when or how) along with the classic Maniote architecture. I am sure there is no accomodation except maybe AirBnbs.

Edited: 11:38 am, July 31, 2018
Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
971 posts
293 reviews
5. Re: Mani

First of all, Porto Kagio is an excellent choice. The best part of the Mani starts south of the Areopolis/Gythio line, so Porto Kagio is a very good base. Also, you find the best beaches there and in Marmari (parking in Marmari can be difficult).

This said, you can really think about spending the whole time there.

If you really want a more northern second location look for accomodation first. There are not so many hotels and vacation rentals on the Mani (thank God!), so an accomodation that appeals to you is more important than location. E.g., we stayed at Porto Vitilo Hotel in Karavostasi, which was a very beautiful hotel on a rather mediocre beach (good enough for a swim in the morning and in the afternoon, and during the day we drove around and found better beaches). And the town was not important to us.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
160 reviews
6. Re: Mani

Thanks everybody for the suggestions and hints!

So do you really think it is better to book accommodation in advance, or there are many rooms other than the ones I can find in internet (as common in Greece) ?

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,985 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: Mani

There are certainly places that you won’t find on the internet but of course no guarantee that they will have vacancies in August which is peak season.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
160 reviews
8. Re: Mani

Thanks!

Actually I think to stay one more night in Kardamyli area, and another in the Aeropolis area, before getting Porto Kagio.

There is so much to see and enjoy!

Reply to: Mani
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Peloponnese