We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro's can anyone help

wigan
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Euro's can anyone help

Has anyone used ICICI bank through moneysupermaket/travel money and how did the transaction go. Or can anyone tell me the best company to deal with online for my Euro's. thanks Dave.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro's can anyone help

HI Dave

I use the post office , the other online suppliers may offer a slightly better rate but seeing as I work and the house is empty for most of the day {nobody in to sign for recorded delivery} it suits me best . I just worked it out in my head and it's less than a tenner difference on £1000 it would cost me more than that in fuel going to the bank or supermarket.

Also they give you the commision free buy back option.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro's can anyone help

No experience of ICIC but I & others here have used FairFX with no problems. They usually offer a pretty competitive rate, they are FSA registered (although that is NOT a cast iron guarantee it is a bit more of a safety net), they have always delivered to me by registered mail next working day.

Order early in the day & as soon as your contract is confirmed by email you should transfer your payment by FPS & as long as they receive it by 1pm they ship same day. Keeping the time scale as short as possible in this way reduces the risk of them going bump overnight as did Crown Currency.

They seem well-established & I have no reason to go elsewhere now unless their rates really are well below anyone else. I would prefer to get a couple of €€€ less with a company I now trust, than take a chance on someone I never dealt with before.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro's can anyone help

Lekistyx makes a good point there about being home to take delivery. FairFX do require a signature. BTW delivery is free f you order more than £750 worth. Check their website for full T & Cs

http://www.fairfx.com/wizard/start/post

I just checked ICIC - they are not FSA registered, but then again neither are most of the suppliers listed on moneysaving expert.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro's can anyone help

Hi there

If you have a Thomas Cook branch in your area, they will offer a "favoured customer" rate on currency which can make quite a difference. Last year, we ordered our Euros from the local branch about three weeks prior to the holiday. On the day of collection, if I'd have been a "walk in" customer, they would have given me €1,11 but as I had prebooked the Euros, I got €1,15.

wigan
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euro's can anyone help

thanks a lot

wigan
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euro's can anyone help

Once again thanks everyone, thank god for forum. Dave.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euro's can anyone help

Even if you decide to purchase from somewhere you can walk into (Post Office, Travel Agent etc) do check if you can pre-order online as you often get a slightly better rate that way. All the main currency suppliers are listed on moneysavingexpert site & updated daily so you can quickly see who is offering the best deal.

Have a great trip!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Euro's can anyone help

In Molivos you can pop into Galliano Restaurant just before the harbour, Richard will exchange your Sterling for euros, at todays rate one pound for 1.19 euros

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euro's can anyone help

That is very useful info! Thanks jimmx.

Wolverhampton
Destination Expert
for Lesbos