We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hints and tips for a short trip

bournemouth
Level Contributor
111 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Hints and tips for a short trip

We will be in Chios for 4 days at the beginning of July before going on to Fourni Korseon. Staying in Megas Limnionas. We want to go to Pyrgi, can people advise on buses. Do we need to go into Chios town to get a bus?We will not be driving. Also other recommendations. We like beaches, ouzo, Greek food, especially fish,and getting lost down small alley ways. No interest in churches but do like history and architecture. Therefore recommendations for good food ( Greek only), local eateries, ouzeries and anything a bit unusual. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Chios Town
Chios Town
Chios, Greece
Pyrgi
Pyrgi
512 Reviews
Chios, Greece
2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hints and tips for a short trip

There is a bus service to Pyrgi from Chios Town which was running three times a day when we were there earlier in the year but that was on the winter timetable. In July i expect there will be more services, google KTEL Chios nearer the time for more details.

I expect your resort will be served by busses to Chios Town, Thimianna and Karfas which are nearby certainly are. You'll need to remember however there are two bus stations, small local busses got from the main square and the larger cross-island (e.g. for Pyrgi) go from the port althugh they are only a couple of minutes walk apart.

Mentioned in this post
Pyrgi
Pyrgi
512 Reviews
Chios, Greece
Chios Town
Chios Town
Chios, Greece
Karfas
Karfas
Chios, Greece
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hints and tips for a short trip

You should definitely go to the hilltop abandoned village of Anavatos . . . spectacular. There are several other abandoned villages on the island worth going to also. Nea Moni Monestary is in a beautiful location. Any of the Mastic Villages including Pyrgi and Mesta are unique and take you back centuries.

Chios has some of the most beautiful and scenic landscapes of any of the Greek Islands I've been to along with beaches, archeological sites, great food and if you get to Mesta ask for the local drink Souma, made from figs and is not available anywhere else.

Chios is filled with history, some of it sad but the the people have turned the island into a wonderful island that doesn't get the hype of Big Name Islands.

I would recommend a car rental if you really want to see the island.

Mentioned in this post
Anavatos
Anavatos
161 Reviews
Chios, Greece
Pyrgi
Pyrgi
512 Reviews
Chios, Greece
Chios Town
Chios Town
Chios, Greece