We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car from Thessaloniki to Athens

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car from Thessaloniki to Athens

After spending a few days in Thessaloniki, I would like to rent a car and drive to Athens. I know there are quite a few companies, but so far all the ones I have contacted charge around 300 euros just for dropping the car off at a different location, which is over double the renting fee.

Can anyone recommend a company that I can use?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car from Thessaloniki to Athens

The one-way fee reflects the cost of getting the car back to base. It cannot return without a driver (& in worse case scenario the company would have to send out TWO drivers in another car for recovery) & does not run on fresh air so yes it can be pricey for the convenience of having a one way. Recovery can equal two wages, three car mileages. Unless you are planning some stops along the way it may be better to use public transport for your transfer. By the time you have factored in petrol & toll fees (expect around €25 total tolls between the 2 cities) it might be cheaper to fly.

Greece is not geared up to one way rentals & the big online companies sub work out to small local franchises who actually own the cars. If one of their cars goes off to Athens they cannot then rent to to anyone else until they have recovered it. Loss of income. The only way to achieve a lower price is to keep searching & requesting quotes. You might find a higher inital rental, with a lower one-way fee. If you do find a suitable solution it would be much appreciated if you would come back & put the info on here for the benefit of others. We see this question regularly but never seem to get any positive feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car from Thessaloniki to Athens

For this type of hire I would go to the big companys direct, I would start with Avis, then Hertz then Sixt. As tsipouro says, most companys are not geared up for this, and it may well work out cheaper, in the end to go direct. But no way will it be cheap, but perhaps the convienience is worth it. Good luck.

3. Re: Renting a car from Thessaloniki to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 04, 2014