We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Zante from April - October

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Moving to Zante from April - October

This year to work for Thomsons.

Going to be based near between Kalamaki and Laganas.

What is it like?

I've been Laganas before but that was on holiday!

How easy would it be to get to Crete for a day and so for a football game I want to take in?

Thanks!

Leon

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Hi Leon

Zante isn't an island I know well, only ever been there once and that was donkey's years ago. A day trip to Crete would be expensive and probably impractical as you'd have to get to Athens from Zante, and then fly to Crete ( Iraklion or Chania) and then, make your way to wherever the game is. It would be less of a rush if you were to stay on Crete for a night or two.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Cheers for the reply!

Quick question, how cheap is food in Greece?

I'm a good eater so not bothered about branded Choclate bars etc from the UK, quite happy with local veg and fruit in Greece.

Thank you :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Hi again

Greek fresh produce is great, miles better than what's available here and relatively inexpensive. Other stuff like cold meats, dairy stuff, cereals and the like is expensive, that's what we've always found.

If you're happy with a snack for lunch, look out for souvlakis and gyros, both the Greek version of fast food, except this stuff tastes good and is healthy for you. You should be able to find either for around €2 - €3

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Thanks again, local produce it is then :)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Might be worth checking out Sky Express for flights to Crete from Zakynthos. I know they were doing that route last year, but I can only find their winter schedule (up until the end of March 2012) at the moment. They did fly Crete-Zakynthos-Kefalonia-Preveza-Corfu return during the summer. We've used them several times Kefalonia-Zakynthos and found them superb. I've put the link here so you can have a look when the summer flight schedule is released http://www.greekislands.gr/skyexpress/

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Forget trying to get to Crete the cost really isn't worth it for such a short time. Zakynthos have their own football team and stadium, i've been a few times, it ain't premiership but its a good day out. It can be cheaper to eat out sometimes, we have Lidl here and the local greek supermarket called Dia.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Thanks for the reply. How do you find the place? I only have a food budget of roughly 200 pounds a month. Will that be ok?

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,413 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

I can fill my cupboard for a week between Lidl and Dia. I don't eat much as the temps get higher but you can have 2 meals a day off that but i usually have 1 meal and then a snack or cereal.

You can get a full spit roast chicken from eurospar for 5.50€.

Edited: 3:36 pm, February 23, 2012
Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Have a look at this link for some info

http://www.livinginzante.com/Shopping.htm

As to whether your budget is enough depends on your appetite and whether you buy local or the more expensive imported goods. You'll soon work out whether its cheaper to have a main meal out and just buy snacks.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Zante from April - October

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to the experience :-)

Get answers to your questions about Zakynthos