We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

I am staying in Kefalonia in Sept 2011 and want to go for the day to meet family in Zante. Does anyone know the following:

Where do I get the fery from in Kefalonia??

Does it dock at Zante harbour??

How much is the ferry fare each way??

Many thanks,

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

First of all, I think you'll have to travel from Kefalonia to Kylini first and then from there to Zakynthos.

Last september there were 4 ferries daily from Kefalonia to Kylini. Sailing time 1 hr 15 min. Departure in Kefalonia is in Poros.

From Kylini to Zante the trip takes 1 hr.

Have a look at www.openseas.gr , type any date last september and have a look at the sailing times.

An each way trip should be around 35€ (Deck or Economy ticket) with Ionian Ferries (www.ionianferries.gr)

From Kefalonia (Poros) you can also go to Kylini with Strintzis ferries (www.strintzisferries.gr)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

You can travel direct to Zante from Kefalonia, the ferry to Zante is from Pessada. Last year the first ferry left at 08.00, arriving in Zante approx 09.20 at St Nicholas Port, in the north of Zante. Return ferry is at approx 19.45. The cost is (or was last year) 31 euros per car and 8 euros per passenger each way. You will need a car to get to Pessada as there are no buses, and likewise you will need a car when you dock in Zante as it is quite a distance from any of the tourist resorts.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

So let me get this right...... I need to get a taxi from Skala to Pessada to get the ferry (direct to Zante which will dock at St. Nicholas Prt. Then I would have to find my way to Laganas or Zasnte Town???

If this is the case don't think I will bother for a few hours!!!!

Many thanks in advance of your clarification.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

So let me get this right..... There is no direct ferry to Zante?? I would need to get from Skala to Kylini then on to Poros to get the ferry over to Zante???

I am nearer to Poros than to Kylini so if I got a water taxi from Skala to Poros am I near the place to get the ferry to Zante?? Does it then dock at Zante Harbour or somewhere else??

Many thanks for your clarification in advance.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

if you were doing that trip you need a overnight stay or 2, pointless for a day trip.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

Thank you so much. I think I have got it now. I would have to get from Skala to Poros to get the ferry to Kylini then continue to Zante??. I would then have to get from St. Nicholas Port to Zante Harbour to meet my family??

If all of this is right it would be very expensive for a Mythos!!!

Many thanks once again.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,352 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

The daytrip is only feasable if you have a car and take it on the ferry route Pessada(Kefalonia)<>Ag. Nikolaos(Zante).

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

Thanks for the advice - appreciated.

It's looking more like it is not going to happen as it appears to be more trouble than it is worth for a few hours, but was worth a try.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

We did it last year (From Zan to Kef) and stayed overnight in Kef, we had a car and it was a worthwhile trip.

Without a car and as a day trip my opinion is that it would be a waste of time as you need some time on the other Island to travel around and see some sights.

Having said that if you hire a car and have an overnight stay on the other Island it ws really enjoyable and something I would sugegst you try, just be extra careful when driving on the boat as the Hore car is not insured when on the boat, it is on the other Island (and all Greek Islands) but not on the boat i between .

Message me if you have any specific queries.

Dundee, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferries from Kefalonia to Zante

Is their actually are ferry running directly from Zakynthos to Kefolonia at present?

Or has it stopped?Rumor has it that a new servicce will commence 1st June ...can anyone confirm.

Get answers to your questions about Zakynthos