We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalamaki / weather this week - please tell me!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kalamaki / weather this week - please tell me!

I'm going to Kalamaki (staying at Btizaro Grande) on Sunday for 2 weeks - I would love to know what the weather is like at the moment, and also is there anything in Kalamaki / Zante that I MUST do?!?! Any nice restaurants anyone knows of?!?! any info would be great!

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalamaki / weather this week - please tell me!

The best restaurants are on the map below. Each of the ones we visited were of a very good quality, but each had their own little quirks.

Personal favourites for great authentic greek food were:

Dias (chilled beer glass & personal pack containing napkin, wipe, toothpick and small after dinner cocktail)

Paris (More formal dining room type seating, "silver" cutlery

Escape (quieter area of town, nice gardens, a little cheaper)

Zepos (after dinner drink, beautiful views of the sea)

Mermaids (excellent, plentyful food, but at busy times waiters rush around tables and found myself eating more quickly to keep up!)

Stanis (Great greek night, prices are a bit higher but you do get entertained for a couple of hours by a band and dancers, lovely views. It really does look like this weblink http://www.justzante.co.uk/comments.asp?item_ref=1014)

Most of the buildings are not much to look at but the food is of a good quality. In most the kitchens are in view so you can see the food being prepared if you wished. Always a good sign I think.

We didn't eat there but at your end of the strip Buon Amici looked worth a visit if you like Italian and rooftop views.

Your Hotel is near 10: Roseland Hotel on the map.

www.justzante.co.uk/zante/Kalamakimap.htm

Check out this website for comments on restaurants, but watch out for Kalamaki restaurant owners pumping their own establishment!

www.justzante.co.uk/Zante/HTM/L0502.htm

http://www.zepostaverna.com/gallery.asp

http://www.buon-amici.com/

And if you want to go into Zante Town taxi fares are here

http://www.zantetaxi.gr/en_prices.php

You can track weather here but we did not find it accurate. Hot and sunny about covers it no matter if the symbol says rain!

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=5107

Must do's? Go and see the turtles on a halfday cruise. Cheaper to book on the strip(eg Pelargos) than with the tour operator but avoid the oulets with cheap 2 hours trips which go out on boats that seem not much bigger than a padalo!

Another Kalamaki map

http://www.hotelmetaxa.com/kalamakimap.pdf

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalamaki / weather this week - please tell me!

Thank you very much - will try out some of the restaurants, and I want to do a trip to see the turtles, but was going to book through the holiday rep, so will make sure i shop around first!

peterborough
Level Contributor
981 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalamaki / weather this week - please tell me!

i am sure you will love kalamki, i totally agree about the dias, it is my all time favourite!!! in fact i agree with all 2bob says, the food in mermaids is very good, but we always feel rushed in there, and as the largest part of our night out is the dining expereience, it has put us off a bit.

if going to escape wear plenty of mozzie repellant, they are nasty little blighters that live round there!!!

We usually hire a car for a couple of days, head off out of the resort, turn right and go as the mood takes us, it is a lovely island, but if you don't fancy driving, try the Zakfari jeep trip,we will be doing that this year, and i am told it is excellant.

All the excursions can be booked much cheaper than your rep will offer them to you, and very easily too!!! last year you could do a two day trip to athens, with a stop over at a 4 star hotel, cheaper than the one day trip that the rep was offering!!

we will be there from september 15th for 10 days, and i can't wait... you never know we might meet you in the dias!!!!!

enjoy

lyn

Dublin
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalamaki / weather this week - please tell me!

Hi.

I was in Kalamaki in August for 2 weeks, I enjoyed it so much, I'm going back in 3 weeks time for 7 nights. I can give you the names of 3 restaurants that serves quality food! Here we go, Paramount (Greek food), Hong Kong (chinese), the Mermaid (Greek). You will not be disappointed! I would recommend you stay away from Laganas as it's very wild however, the kids have gone back to school so maybe it's quieter. We did some tours, the "ship wreck", catch a boat to a beach that has a shipwreck on it. The scenery is beautiful and the beach is amazing, worth a go plus, you stop off to swim in the sea. We did the "Olympia" tour to, don't do it if you have a hangover, believe me, I know!!!!! but it's great if you like your history.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalamaki / weather this week - please tell me!

If you walk to Laganas along the beach you just turn right near the river mouth and walk up the path towards the main road there is an EXCELLENT restaurant called The River Bar which shows sport, has its' own book-lending service and does English food and Greek food fairly cheaply- it is run by a Leeds woman and her mother!

If you want to go somewhere later then follow the directions to River Bar but carry on going until you get to the main road and the bridge- there is a taverna called Fourgas which was surprisingly cheap NO BRITISH FOOD!

England
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalamaki / weather this week - please tell me!

Hi, we got back from Laganas, Zante yesterday morning (Monday 10th Oct 2005). The weather was hit and miss varying from extremely hot to torrential rains and thunderstorms, but watching the storms from our hotel balcony at night time was brillant because they were so spectacular. We didn't get to see any of the Caretta-Caretta turtles because their breeding season is over now and some of our trips were cancelled because of the weather, but we did manage to go for a drive in the Zakfari team's jeeps which was bumpy, but fun and one way to see some spectacular views of the island. Simon, the guide, was hilarious and Peter, our driver, was brilliant for information about the environmental and social history of the island and a true gentleman. Laganas has some interesting and lively night life and is wonderful for sunbathing and swimming if it is warm.

Our visit to the reptile house was really cool with a very knowledgable guide who allows you to hold some of the snakes and lizards in there...Have your camera ready if you're brave enough to handle a python or boa constrictor.

A walk over to the small island, which is to the right of Laganas bay, is a lovely trek and it's fun crossing to the island by the rope bridge across the sea and then going down to the small bar on the beach over the other side of the island which we were told was called Cameo Bay. I was able to practise snorkelling here by pushing myself off the rocky stones and pulling myself along on my belly. That's if you go for that. If you take some bread you might attract the fish and the water is crystal clear when it's calm.

The nightlife at Laganas was buzzing whilst we were there. There are plenty of clubs and pubs to let your hair down in. The traditional food was ace, especially lamb kleftiko

flambe...especially served at the Paradise Restaraunt up near the Perkes Hotel on the main Laganas Road. The Hellenic Taste Restaraunt, nearer to the nightlife was also fun with tasty food and very persuasive guys waiting at the entrance to entice you in. There is a McDonalds, KFC and Pizza Hut if you want a fast meal and there are some Chinese Restaraunts too. Italian and Indian as well as British platters can also be bought at most of the restaraunts in Laganas, Fatso's was pretty good with a varied self service buffet and all you can eat for 6 euros...3 euros for kids. Watch out for the alcohol measures if you do not drink much. Usually I get tipsy on two glasses here at home, there it took one glass...The measures are very generous. You can also shop at night and there are some amazing handmade leather crafts and lovely shoes, bags, clothes, accessories and gifts....There are some fascinating street portrait artists if you fancy a family portrait painted.

The Water Park is also good for a couple of hours. You might like to change into your swim gear before you get there or change in the loos as there's not much privacy at the locker area. Five euros for a locker key, 2 of which you get back when you return the key.

A public bus journey can be like playing a game of sardines. It's fun for the odd corney pun, but if you suffer from claustrophobia don't do it unless you check how full the buses are first. We went into Zakiynthos Town by the bus, 1 euro each per trip, which was a wonderful place where you can do lots of clothes/accessory and nick-nack buying...The handmade table cloths etc. are very beautiful and quite affordable. We decided to get a taxi back which was another interesting experience. We'll let you discover that one for yourself. Brush up on a little Greek language and enjoy your holiday!!